Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIFI Repeater Question

Just get yourself a spool of cat5e from home depot. Only costs about $60. Though I'm pretty sure dd-wrt has a repeater function.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

No offence Barry but that's $60 I'd rather not spend...I appreciate the thought but I'd rather use the tools available to me already, (and not spend anymore money).

I have 2 Wireless cards I can use simultaneously with my laptop, with a spare/redundant USB interface I can attach to my studio computer, so I'll just get busy with Google when the time comes...I must be able to use my laptop to mirror the signal somehow, and if not I've got a 10M ethernet cable which should carry it the rest of the way.

The only problem is the last wall, which has been acoustically treated, coupled with the fact that my Desktop studio PC, (well strictly it's a rack mount but it's the same in terms of motherboard etc), doesn't have a Card Bus slot...so I can't use my Ubiquiti, (not that it's quite powerful enough anyway), but if I was going to spend $60 I'd just buy an Alfa which would probably stretch to it anyway.

I'm sure there's aps bundled with BT that'd do the trick, but as I haven't actually done any research on the subject, (as I've not not needed to yet), I'm not sure which ones...as I said, I'm only mentioning it now because it came up in conversation rather than out of any immediate need. It's just one of those things I've been meaning to get round to, (one of many unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just get yourself a spool of cat5e from home depot. Only costs about $60. Though I'm pretty sure dd-wrt has a repeater function.
    Cat5e > Wireless

dd-wrt does

Universal Wireless Repeater

Wlan Repeater
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks for all your replies, I know cat5 would give a much better throughput but I doubt the aps need much bandwidth to register themselves...the dd-wrt would do the job but having had a quick look through the madwifi docs I found this:
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/WDSBridge
    Which if I'm not mistaken, (which I quite possibly am, lol), suggests it'd do the job too...and that'd just involve bashing out a few codes to set it up.

I know that it would halve the available bandwidth, but surely if you can register these apps on dial-up it's not going to present a problem...I'm going to try to get it setup tonight, just to see if it works and I'll report back

Quote Originally Posted by TrialAndError View Post
    No offence Barry but that's $60 I'd rather not spend...I appreciate the thought but I'd rather use the tools available to me already, (and not spend anymore money).

I have 2 Wireless cards I can use simultaneously with my laptop, with a spare/redundant USB interface I can attach to my studio computer, so I'll just get busy with Google when the time comes...I must be able to use my laptop to mirror the signal somehow, and if not I've got a 10M ethernet cable which should carry it the rest of the way.

The only problem is the last wall, which has been acoustically treated, coupled with the fact that my Desktop studio PC, (well strictly it's a rack mount but it's the same in terms of motherboard etc), doesn't have a Card Bus slot...so I can't use my Ubiquiti, (not that it's quite powerful enough anyway), but if I was going to spend $60 I'd just buy an Alfa which would probably stretch to it anyway.

I'm sure there's aps bundled with BT that'd do the trick, but as I haven't actually done any research on the subject, (as I've not not needed to yet), I'm not sure which ones...as I said, I'm only mentioning it now because it came up in conversation rather than out of any immediate need. It's just one of those things I've been meaning to get round to, (one of many unfortunately).
    None taken. I just find it easier sometimes to pull some cable than beat my head against the keyboard hacking up something on the laptop. I do have about 2000 feet of network cable under my house... Though, it is kinda cool to figure these things out.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    None taken. I just find it easier sometimes to pull some cable than beat my head against the keyboard hacking up something on the laptop. I do have about 2000 feet of network cable under my house... Though, it is kinda cool to figure these things out.
    ...and he runs 120vac on the pairs that aren't used to keep the cable from freezing up.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

PrairieFire,

Am I reading the dd-wrt link correct in that it can only do "open networks" or WEP/WPA networks if you know the key?

The problem with that is that my network uses PEAP not wep/wpa. Since I use AD Group policy to manage the clients...it really isn't feasible for me to change the encryption/authentication methods.

So unless it can operate strictly as an extender (I think thats the right term) then this isn't going to work...

Thanks for the link though...I may give it a shot anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12