Thread: Setting the Path to Back Track

Just burned their ISO

Default Setting the Path to Back Track

Hi,

I am new in this forum and I would like to use Back Track once I am ready.
    Since I am a newcomer in the Linux universe I am using Ubuntu and Debian right now because I think this will be an easier start rather than
    jumping immediately into the BT universe.

I was always fascinated by IT security but did not explore this field since I thought that only people like programmers or those with a degree in quantum physics
    would only be able to understand IT security. But know I do not think that way anymore and I really want to become an expert of IT security. Therefore I am asking
    if anyone may help me please because I do not know where to start.
    I did a research on the net already but there are so many sites which claim that they "know
    what it takes" to be an IT security expert. And I do not want to follow a path that does not lead me to my goal. And I think this forum is a good starting point.

How to secure a wireless connection? How can I determine if a network is insecure and how can I fix these problems? How to hide my Ip address effectively to maintain
    my privacy?

Those and many more are the questions I have always asked myself.

Of course, you can tell to search every topic one by one. But what I am looking for is...well some sort of "guideline" which explains even the basic things of IT secur$
    let's say in a logic order like "starting from scratch" or "the ABC of IT security"

If any of you have suggestions about books which a serious and reliable about this topic please let me know.
    I know it will take me years to learn that but I am patient.
    I just want to have a solid base of knowledge before I start using BT. because without that knowledge It makes now sense to use it in the first place.

It is not my intention to waste space here in this forum by asking this question. So if you also think that there are forums that handle this topic
    in a general but solid matter and not BT related please let me know.

Thank You

Best regards

Default Re: Setting the Path to Back Track

Quote Originally Posted by Quieto View Post
    How to secure a wireless connection?
    Chances are it's not very secure. However, chances are also high that your data/connection pose a VERY small risk of compromise. While there is a small portion of the population that might want to rip-off your internet connection, there is very little data you store/process that is worth going after. The data that is worth something (financials/PII) can be obtained in easier ways than wasting time on one person's wireless connection (harvesting stuff from your curbside garbage, stealing your laptop, etc).
    How can I determine if a network is insecure and how can I fix these problems?
    Worthy goals.
    How to hide my Ip address effectively to maintain my privacy?
    What difference does this make? Even if you could hide your IP address how to you perceive this as protecting your privacy? For example:
    • Do you do any ordering/shopping online?
    • Does anyone else in your home have access to your computer?
    • Do you use public systems or networks (library, cafe, hotel, etc)?
    • Do you EVER use your real name online?
    • Do you EVER use your real name in conjunction with your email address?
    • Do you use social media with your real name? (FaceBook, Google+/Circles/whatever...., MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)
    • Do you use a laptop, tablet, phone, etc that can be stolen or that you can not maintain positive control of?
    • Do you blindly install or use software on your system/network/tablet/phone without doing research into the reliability/security thereof?
    • etc

If your answer to any of these questions is yes, then hiding your IP address (in whatever manner or from whoever you may think necessary) is completely irrelevant. The "Best" or really only way to protect your privacy online is to always be someone else...i.e.: have an online only identity and ensure that you never EVER connect it to yourself in any way (which is almost impossible).

To answer your question of where to start, try here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=33114
    Last edited by thorin; 08-15-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Setting the Path to Back Track

@thorin,

Thank you very much!
    Sorry for my late answer.
    Yes, I know the first questions I have asked are pretty naive.
    I will check out your link.