Thread: Any advice on Wireless cards?

Just burned his ISO

Default Any advice on Wireless cards?

Hi, I am experimenting with cain but the sticking point is my crappy wireless card.

I have been looking for over 2 hours now to see if my wireless card can be switched to monitor mode and used with cain. it is a dell wireless 1390 wlan mini-card.

If it is not supported, I was thinking of the airpcap usb adaptor. There are 2 available, one for $200 the other for $300 not sure which one I need!

Thanks for any advice.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by juvenile View Post
    Hi, I am experimenting with cain but the sticking point is my crappy wireless card.

I have been looking for over 2 hours now to see if my wireless card can be switched to monitor mode and used with cain. it is a dell wireless 1390 wlan mini-card.

If it is not supported, I was thinking of the airpcap usb adaptor. There are 2 available, one for $200 the other for $300 not sure which one I need!

Thanks for any advice.
    Cain is a windows app and has nothing to do with bactrack. But just because I'm feeling helpful here is a video that may help

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=v...n-wpa-cracking

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply purehate. That video is a winner, I get stuck on with selecting the channel as I don't have a driver for my poxy wireless card! I have checked wildpackets but can't find one to suit.

Any more of your legendary helpfulness would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Don't bother with an airpcap adapter...instead download a copy of BackTrack (for free), search the forums here (for free), learn a bit of Linux and the Aircrack suite (for free), and then spend $30 (or less) on a usb wireless adapter that can inject!!!

Not only will you save yourself at least $170-$270, you'll also gain a little knowledge...and knowledge is a priceless commodity that you can't buy!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks TrialandError, sound advice there, my problem is I am a linux Virgin. Do I need to be running a Linux system or is there some form of emulator for windows? Don't worry, I ain't gonna ask anymore jackass questions, I am more than capable of searching and learning, just need to get started.... We all started somewhere!

Thanks again

my problem is I am a linux Virgin
    Well, everyone's got to pop their cherry sometime...unless they become a priest of course

I'm still pretty useless with Linux now, although I'm learning all the time and I've come to love the power and flexibility it offers. The only problem is that it makes you start to hate Windows, I now want complete control of my OS and I just can't get it from Windows no matter how hard I try!!!

There's a really good thread stickied at the top of this page with everything you'll need to know to get upto speed with Linux and plenty of tutorials on these forums about how to use the tools...so search, learn and achieve.

Developer

Trial and error is right about linux. I have windows with all the security tools and I rarely use it.The great thing about bt is it is fairly light weight. it can be run from a live cd. it can be run from usb. It can be run from vmware in windows and it can be run from hard disk. pretty soon linux co op will support it. down load the cd and try it out. simply boot from the disk drive instead of the hard disk

Quote Originally Posted by TrialAndError View Post
    Don't bother with an airpcap adapter...instead download a copy of BackTrack (for free), search the forums here (for free), learn a bit of Linux and the Aircrack suite (for free), and then spend $30 (or less) on a usb wireless adapter that can inject!!!

Not only will you save yourself at least $170-$270, you'll also gain a little knowledge...and knowledge is a priceless commodity that you can't buy!
    I agree 100% I could not have put it better myself.

Also purehate has a great point. Booting from live cd will let you learn and test the waters then you can take bigger steps later if you decide.

Happy Learning, now go have some fun
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Just burned his ISO

Thanks guys. Purehate that is a great idea, I was worried about ballsing up my system by installing linux. I'll have a look at that. cheers