Thread: Buffer overflow

Hybrid View

Default Buffer overflow

Hi. I'm learning ASM and C n perl atm to gain more computer knowladge within the art of hacking. And all i want is when finding buffer overflows within programs that have been compiled hows do you find that an exploit can be exploited, i'm not asking to be spoon fed cause i like to learn for myself. My guess is studying an application in ASM and see if it can be exploited. Thank you for your time

Do some research on the topic of fuzzing. That'll get you started.
    σκιαμαχι

Default metasploit

Use metasploit

Study http://www.securiteam.com/securityre...OP0B006UQ.html

Consider also a higher level scripting language (such as lua or python) rather than shellcodes as most systems now effectively trap buffer overflows. (We hope).
    Lux sit

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

im agree you will need to learn some procedural language before all

lua(my little installer for bt under win was made in lua) is the best i think

python is really powerfull
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Developer

The new metasploit frame work is coded in ruby so if you plan on using it to develop a exploit after you find a vunerability it would be usefull to be proficiant in ruby. Black foot is right fuzzing is the teqnique used for finding vunerabilities. Backtrack comes with some very useful fuzzers but even before that you must learn about the stack, and break points and the eip and a lot of other things. other wise you wont know a vunerability when you see it

Well thank you guys very much i mean tht, i shall looking into it now, i do know abit of ASM. I wanna learn this stuff to get good at it, i dont really like using metasploit cause i'd wanna learn how to find them exploit them not jus click, config, exploit (not my thing). Thanks people :-D

Script kiddies = n00bs

fenec

Default test

i have tried a tuto ceonserning BOF and it desnt work, any idea ? maybe a buffer overflow protection in backtrack?

Read up on how overflows work and answer the question yourself.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by fenec View Post
    i have tried a tuto ceonserning BOF and it desnt work, any idea ? maybe a buffer overflow protection in backtrack?
    Wow perhaps you could be more vague?

Seems like you need to do a bunch of reading. You can read this:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ticle_pots_bot
    for starters but you'll need to read up on how to get a debugger working and how to use it. You'll need an understanding of stack, heap, and system memory spaces etc. Some basic assembly language knowledge can't hurt either.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Wow perhaps you could be more vague?
    I had to read it a couple times....
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!