Thread: Wifi Connection Problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Wifi Connection Problem

Greetings,

I have the following problem, when i launch Wicd Network Manager, it wont just find any wifi network. And when i try to connect to " wired-default " inside Wicd Network interface, it's getting stuck at " Obtaining Ip address... " . And after a while it gives error " Unable to obtain Ip address " .

Laptop Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01).

Ty for help!
    Also, if you need some more information ask for it.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Wifi Connection Problem

Personally, I've always had bad luck with Broadcom chipsets (e.g. flaky connection, into & out of monitor mode, etc), and therefore stay away from them. It may be easier to simply purchase a more compatible wi-fi card (several good ones are recommended on the hardware compatibility list forums, as well as the Wi-Fu course at Offensive Security).
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Ty for your reply.

I was looking around and found out that my laptop wifi card doest support injection yet...
    I got woring the Wicd networking searching list. Now i see list of available connections near me. But when i try to connect to one of them it again... wont connect, maybe the connection strength is bad. Going to try tomarrow at school and will say how it went.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

You're welcome, and experimenting never hurts Be sure to run airmon-ng to see if your card will go into monitor mode, and aireplay-ng to do an injection test.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Can you write the outputs of iwconfig ifconfig ? and ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    I compiled allot of times broadcom driver
    They were hell but now im used to it allot of them got freshly monitor mode ^^

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Re: Wifi Connection Problem

Ok, so the patched drivers for the BCM4313 are now included with BackTrack 5r2. The wireless card works great in monitor mode, and will inject packets. But I still have this "cannot obtain IP address" whenever I attempt to connect to any network. I'm fairly new to backtrack and patched drivers in particular. Any ideas?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Depends on the pci id: Need to check, type: lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

See the id (4313, 4311, 4312, etc)....

Go to this link and check table, see if is supported by aircrack-ng according to the ID...http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=b43

The new table (up to date) is here for linux drivers: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...wn_PCI_devices

Try the new driver, download it and install it..See if it works: http://mmc.geofisica.unam.mx/debian/...mware-nonfree/ (use this : firmware-brcm80211_0.36_all.deb)

If it does not work, you might want to try the iw driver for broadcoms as stated in the table (first link) posted above. That would be your second option.

Luck