As mentioned in my other thread, I'm a noob when it comes to linux although I'm trying to figure out what I can.

I picked an rtl8187 based internal wifi card as the well regarded AWUS036H is based on the same chipset.

The laptop it's in has the usual antennae with the screen but it even seems to have a little booster in line.

With the original dell/broadcom and another model dell/broadcom it gets brilliant reception and picks up lots of networks (although the b43 driver seems useless as they both keep dropping).

The rtl8187 really struggles to pick up anything that's not very near.

I've been reading up and apparently there the r8187 driver needed the following settings enabled to enable high power mode:

iw reg set bo
iwpriv wlan0 highpower 1

From what I've read, this may be neccessary to enable the following command:

iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30 (also seen references to 35)

I've tried them all with rtl8187 and it doesn't accept the iwpriv command and changing power didn't really help.

I've read instructions to install the r8187 drivers but I seem to have found two issues with them.

Firstly, when making the driver, it errors trying to find /user/src/linux-source-3.2.6/Module-symvers

I installed the linux headers, then I realised that the drivers and patches are for olders kernels such as 2.6.39.4 and there doesn't seem to be a patch for 3.2.6

Anyone got any ideas on how to install the old drivers or any locations of newer drivers/patches?