Thread: Bt4 + xfce

Default Bt4 + xfce

I'm running BT4 on an older laptop and KDE bogs it down a bit sometimes. Anyone tried running it with XFCE or a some other lightweight DE? I installed it and did startxfce4 or whatever it was and it came up fine (and much more quickly, I might add), but the Backtrack folder and all of it's assorted goodness was missing. All the programs were still there, but not in the xfce start menu.

After that nothing I did could get it to boot back into K until I completely uninstalled xfce. Ideas?

Default Re: Bt4 + xfce

xcfe have too bee configed for it too have some menys but you dont relly need it any way is all under /penntest

Too choose if you whant KDE och XCFE edit your .xinitrc file

Yeah, I saw it all there in /pentest, I just wondered if anyone else had tried setting it up with xfce. Thanks for the tip about getting back into K though.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    I'm running BT4 on an older laptop and KDE bogs it down a bit sometimes. Anyone tried running it with XFCE or a some other lightweight DE? I installed it and did startxfce4 or whatever it was and it came up fine (and much more quickly, I might add), but the Backtrack folder and all of it's assorted goodness was missing. All the programs were still there, but not in the xfce start menu.

After that nothing I did could get it to boot back into K until I completely uninstalled xfce. Ideas?
    Yes at the old forums there is a thread ( I don't know the title anymore) about trying to get xfce to work.
    I downloaded it using apt and it will work but keep in mind the BT tools menu will not work like it does now.
    The only real way to get the menu launcher to work properly would be to write a wrapper script to launch all the tools.
    It really isn't all that practical or the best.

Just burned his ISO

I'm running BT3 (still downloading BT4) so forgive me if this is not applicable:

I also use an old 300mhz laptop and have found performance using Flux (fluxbox) to be just fine. In BT3 this would work straight from the root prompt with the flux command. I would assume flux is still present in BT4, so give that a go (again, forgive me if I am mistaken).

Nope, no flux as far as I can tell. Oh well, I'll just stick to K for now until I get some time to sit down and mess with xfce for a while. I'm a big fan of xfce for older/underpowered computers. I'll post in the future if I get it sorted out.

Developer

The problem with xfce4 is the default terminal. It doesn't support the command line apps opening up like konsole does. I fought with xfce4 and bt4 pre for many weeks trying to hack it up to work but what happens is that the more modifications we make the more likely it is to get borked by a update. I eventually abandoned the project.

The reason for flux and fvwm-crystal being left out is because they are not free desktop compliant so we are unable to update their menus from apt-get.

Ok, I see. Thanks for your reply.