Thread: "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'" hung up for hours?

Just burned his ISO

Default "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'" hung up for hours?

I was running an upgrade with the apt-get command, and it was taking an exceptionally long time b/c half way through my ISP hit me in the face with their fair usage policy. But the universe felt that wasn't enough, so Boom went the thunder, down came the rain, and out went the lights.
    After sitting outside & watching the rain for awhile my electronics regained consciousness, so I went back to complete the upgrade and my terminal scolds me with "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.". I begged and pleaded for forgiveness, but it just looked at me like I was stupid with its face that it didn't have.
    The last bit of legible info was all this:
    Installing (ri/RDoc) documention for (stuff and such)
    ERROR: Could not find a valid gem 'watobo-0.9.8.724.gem' (>= 0) in any repository
    rm: cannot remove `watobo-0.9.8.724.gem': No such file or directory

Setting up metasploit (4.3.0-bt1) ...
    Upgrading Pre-Existing Installation...
    /opt/metasploit/postgresql/scripts/ctl.sh : postgresql (pid 1191) already running
    prosvc is running
    metasploit is running[*][*] Attempting to update the Metasploit Framework...[*]

So on it goes for miles, talking about gem caches, rubies, & stuff I wish I had. All up until:
    A lib/gemcache/ruby/1.9.1/gems/state_machine-1.1.2/gemfiles/active_record-2.1.2.gemfile.lock
    ...and there it has sat, all night.
    If I stop it, will I still get the dpkg error (on the off chance that I won't), or if so what do I need to to resume using apt-get commands and its Super Cow Powers?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'" hung up for ho

Try to upgrade again with "aptitude"..Some packages were interrupted and almost sure you have broken packages.

Another thing you can do, and let me tell you one thing, I do this in Debian (My OS):

Look at /var/log/apt/history.log..There you can see all you intslled and upgraded, if any.

Then You can send all this to a .txt file: $ dpkg --get-selections | grep install > my_packages.txt

Once you have the list, you can do many things, one is to dselect the upgrade as root:
    # dpkg --set-selections < my_packages.txt
    # apt-get dselect-upgrade

Then try again to upgrade...

Again,it might work, It did in my Debian Wheezy....

Just simple info: There is also another way to restore the whole system, via Debian Experimental repos : "sbackup"...This is just info.

Also, try always to use "aptitude" instead of apt-get..Google to see the difference...

I hope it helps you.
    Last edited by maverik35; 07-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.