Thread: bt5r2 in VMware player having problem with alfa awus036nh... if I change to dual-boot

Default bt5r2 in VMware player having problem with alfa awus036nh... if I change to dual-boot

Going round and round trying to get alfa wireless card to work properly. If a change to dual-boot install rather then in VMware like I have now, will this eliminate the problem I am having with alfa card. I seem to remember reading that here, but I can't seem to find the thread that mention this Thanks for any and all help. btr2 in VMware playrer with wins XP

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: bt5r2 in VMware player having problem with alfa awus036nh... if I change to dual-

am having same problem ... i tried bt 5 r1 and r2 in vmware but i cannot run Alfa Awus036nh on it even wicd says no wifi arround

chipset 2800usb i think

if someone found a solution that would be great

Default Re: bt5r2 in VMware player having problem with alfa awus036nh... if I change to dual-

Help us help you.

What does

Code:
    dmesg | tail
    or

Code:
    iwconfig
    show you?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowmth View Post
    Going round and round trying to get alfa wireless card to work properly. If a change to dual-boot install rather then in VMware like I have now, will this eliminate the problem I am having with alfa card. I seem to remember reading that here, but I can't seem to find the thread that mention this Thanks for any and all help. btr2 in VMware playrer with wins XP
    I Highly recommend Dual boot. Highly reecommended... Refer to posts in the forums about VM installs...I 'd never use BT5 in a VM...If you want to use BT at its full potential and devices that are supposed to work "out of the box", use dual boot.

I use BT5 to test, and keep in mind that is not "Final release", it has some issues, that is why we all have to test and try to find a solution. But when it comes to use something 100% functional, I use my BT4r2...very robust and stable..Proved and is based on BT4 Final release, another excellent choice.

Luck..

Thank you for input. I believe I will take your advice and do dual-boot. I have just gotten rid of my VMware player; so as for ternarybit's question; I can't remember exactly, but alfa works great when running airmon and configured fine. I would see lots of networks and could get keys to all I tried. aireplay,aircrack it works fine. It is when I start Wicd that I see no networks. When I switch to Windows as long as I change the driver it really works well. Better than my atheros, which is decent wireless card, its just the two watts is killer. {don't think I am pushing two watts but its strong} THanks for your time fellas, but going to go with dual-boot and leave my troubles behind. AS a noob I greatly apperciate ya'lls input. Peace

Just burned his ISO

I have no problem with this card in vmware. Have you tried killing the dhclient process?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Just one question, when running aircrack suite it works fine. Then start wicd and see no networks? is that it?

If so, doing /etc/init.d/wicd start will not change the card mode. This is, if card was in monitor mode it will no be switched to managed mode. Need to switch to "managed" mode..I belive the card remains in monitor mode..

Network manager uses a plugin called ifupdown (read only file), which reads the file /etc/network/interfaces and do its job just as describe in that file....But the file DO NOT states any managed or monitor mode, just inet Static or dhcp, auto, and some other parameters....

Try it...

Any way, my recomendation on Dual boot remains.
    Last edited by maverik35; 07-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem.

I can get it to work if i turn the vmware machine on and log into backtrack.
    Then do

Airmon-ng check kill

Plug usb adpater in

Airmon-ng check kill

Airmon-ng start wlan0

aireplay-ng -9 mon0

However, if i attempt to change mac address this fails and i have to reboot the machine to get it to work again.
    I have tried editing the interfaces and rc.local files to change the wlan0 default address. The addresses changes fine, but then i cannot get it to work anymore.

I have undone all my changes and it still doesnt work, so i will start a new vmware image, but you could try the above if you dont mind not being able to change MAC addresses on wlan0 or mon0.