Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whera I can Find "menu.lst" for GRUB With This Situation.....

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Whera I can Find "menu.lst" for GRUB With This Situation.....

Quote Originally Posted by arsol76 View Post
    so,what are those file?could you help me?
    Ok, as stated by r083rt, the menu.lst is the grub.cfg (in grub2). ANY modification directly BY HAND to this file might result in a failure boot or boot problems, so it is not recommended.

This file (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) is CREATED by update-grub2 command.

There are 2 files (templates if you want to see them that way) that uses the update-grub2 and you can modify to add entries or OS and modify the order of OS to boot from, names, etc.

1. /etc/grub.d/ is a folder which contains some files, all of those files are read by update-grub command and update the grub.cfg. If you want to add an entry, let's say Windows 7, then edit file 40_custom
    nano /etc/grub.b/40_custom and add this entry:

menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod ntfs
    set root=(hd0,1) ----- > hd0 is your first drive sda. 1 is the partition number.
    chainloader +1
    }

save and close. Here you can create a new file instead of using 40_custom, like 45_Win7, 43_custom_XP, etc.

Now, if you want to alter some parameters for example, timeout to show the list of OS when booting, or change the order to boot the OS, etc, use the file: /etc/default/grub. Edit it and change parameters as needed:

nano /etc/default/grub

save and close it..

Once done, execute the command update-grub2. When it finishes, all changes made will be available at boot....

Now reboot...If you do no see some OS, run os-prober and then again update-grub2...

os-prober searches HDD for partitions and show them in the terminal...

Luck....

i guess this thread is solved and i dont want to upset anyone with my question but i fill this is the correct place to ask being it is sort of related...

"How do i change the boot order" i have done a triple boot, windows7, linux mint and backtrack 5(10.04 lucid kernel 3.2.6)
    when my grub loads it looks something like this

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Code:
    (DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE)
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    so my question is how can i change the order and set linux mint as the first boot...

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    i guess this thread is solved and i dont want to upset anyone with my question but i fill this is the correct place to ask being it is sort of related...

"How do i change the boot order" i have done a triple boot, windows7, linux mint and backtrack 5(10.04 lucid kernel 3.2.6)
    when my grub loads it looks something like this

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Code:
    (DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE)
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    so my question is how can i change the order and set linux mint as the first boot...
    I belive it was solved...

You do not upset anyone, my friend, we are here to help..But you had to open a new thread since this one is from someone else..

But being here, I'd like to give you a piece of advice: read little more about ther GRUB...

Now, let's get to the point:

to change the order of default boot, as I mentioned before, you have 2 "templates" so to speak..Those 2 ftemplates will modify your grub.cfg file...

One of the templates or files is /etc/default/grub, here you will modify the boot order. Now this file or template has many parameters, if you can browse it or edit it.

To change a meny entry to be the default, there is a value you have to modify: GRUB_DEFAULT, having 3 ways of doing it:

1. Assign the corresponding line number (starting from 0) in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (in your case this would be the first line and I quote : 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {"
    if you want, per say : menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" { you have to see the line number starting from 0, this line is number 9, starting from 0).. Then your parameter wold be:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=9

2. Asign the menu entry Label: as appearded in your grub.cfg:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)"

3. Also assigning the "saved" value, if so, it will use the entry used in the last boot.
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

Once modified, run update-grub, this will make system to read both templates (/etc/default/grub and scripts under /etc/grub.d) with your modifications and will create the NEW /boot/grub/grub.cfg...Then Reboot.

So, first, take a look at your /etc/grub and see it to modify accordingly..

Luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12