Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whera I can Find "menu.lst" for GRUB With This Situation.....

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Whera I can Find "menu.lst" for GRUB With This Situation.....

Hello all.
    I installed Backtrack 5 r2 with Windows 7 & for some tutorials that i read before installing about dual-boot and for run GRUB so i installed GRUB in partition that i installed Win now i want to change something in menu.lst from GRUB for customize but i can't find it in "/boot/grub",I also searched in Win partition but nothing ....
    Where I can find that?

Default Re: Whera I can Find "menu.lst" for GRUB With This Situation.....

/etc/default/grub

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by VulpiArgenti View Post
    /etc/default/grub
    Thanks a lot. in "default" folder i couldn't see "grub" folder to edit "menu.lst" i just saw a file in default folder with name "grub" that
    e.g. i changed timeout and saved it but when i reboot computer nothing changed in grub.
    do you know why?

and @ dear Snayler i copy that in terminal but show one thing that's not about it.

i guess this thread is solved and i dont want to upset anyone with my question but i fill this is the correct place to ask being it is sort of related...

"How do i change the boot order" i have done a triple boot, windows7, linux mint and backtrack 5(10.04 lucid kernel 3.2.6)
    when my grub loads it looks something like this

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Code:
    (DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE)
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    so my question is how can i change the order and set linux mint as the first boot...

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    i guess this thread is solved and i dont want to upset anyone with my question but i fill this is the correct place to ask being it is sort of related...

"How do i change the boot order" i have done a triple boot, windows7, linux mint and backtrack 5(10.04 lucid kernel 3.2.6)
    when my grub loads it looks something like this

cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Code:
    (DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE)
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-42-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-23-generic (/dev/sdb1) -- recovery mode (on /dev/sdb1)" {
    so my question is how can i change the order and set linux mint as the first boot...
    I belive it was solved...

You do not upset anyone, my friend, we are here to help..But you had to open a new thread since this one is from someone else..

But being here, I'd like to give you a piece of advice: read little more about ther GRUB...

Now, let's get to the point:

to change the order of default boot, as I mentioned before, you have 2 "templates" so to speak..Those 2 ftemplates will modify your grub.cfg file...

One of the templates or files is /etc/default/grub, here you will modify the boot order. Now this file or template has many parameters, if you can browse it or edit it.

To change a meny entry to be the default, there is a value you have to modify: GRUB_DEFAULT, having 3 ways of doing it:

1. Assign the corresponding line number (starting from 0) in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (in your case this would be the first line and I quote : 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {"
    if you want, per say : menuentry "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)" { you have to see the line number starting from 0, this line is number 9, starting from 0).. Then your parameter wold be:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=9

2. Asign the menu entry Label: as appearded in your grub.cfg:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb1) (on /dev/sdb1)"

3. Also assigning the "saved" value, if so, it will use the entry used in the last boot.
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

Once modified, run update-grub, this will make system to read both templates (/etc/default/grub and scripts under /etc/grub.d) with your modifications and will create the NEW /boot/grub/grub.cfg...Then Reboot.

So, first, take a look at your /etc/grub and see it to modify accordingly..

Luck.

A good linux command for this situations is "locate":
    Code:
    locate menu.lst
    It will return a list with all the directories containing a file named "menu.lst".
    Run "man locate" for more information.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks but there is not a folder with name "grub" in "etc/default"
    i just found a grub file in that location that names "grub" and i changed but nothing changed!!
    and when i enter "locate menu.lst" they show one file that names "grub-menu.lst" and it's not about it.
    Can you help me?

Just burned his ISO

the file in question your looking for is grub.cfg

nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

r083rt

Yet another way to find any file on your system:
    Code:
    find / | grep {filename}
    such as:
    Code:
    find / grep menu.lst
    . You can make the search go faster if you know approximately where the file is, such as
    Code:
    find /root | grep myfile

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

No menu.list in GRUB2...Please read more about grub2, and the 2 files that configure the options. No menu.lst in grub2...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast