Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most new laptops are coming without PCMCIA slots

Default most new laptops are coming without PCMCIA slots

Are they phasing them out? :S

If so what are the other available options for WiFi and packet injection? I notice the DLink DWL-G122 USB Adapter will support this.

thoughts? ...

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

yes now most of user must take the usb road to wifi......

dwlg122 is based on ralink rt73 wich is a great chipset given for free by ralink for the driver (even injection...thx)

BUT

this dlink adapter have a faulty transistor really weak when there's electricity flaws....i burn one ... i know 5 pers mini the same

i advise WUSB54GC rt73 too, really out of the box (just 2 commands to activate inj and force prism header)
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Well, first, make sure that it doesn't have a pcmcia slot before deciding it doesn't. The one on my new laptop was stealthily placed right above the dvd drive, and I didn't notice it until after I had ordered a USB wireless card. Xploitz had a good laugh at my expense on that one.

Second, I bought the ALFA AWUS036H usb adapter. It's doing well for me so far, though you'd be better off asking someone with more experience with the card and with wireless tools how well it really does. Nice thing about getting a usb adapter though is that you can use them in VMWare virtual machines as well as harddrive installs. VMWare can't use pcmcia cards at all, and internal wireless cards show up as wired ethernet adapters in your guest OS.

There's also a sticky thread in the Tutorials forum that discusses the topic of which card to buy.
    σκιαμαχι

Quote Originally Posted by skiamakhe View Post
    The one on my new laptop was stealthily placed right above the dvd drive, and I didn't notice it until after I had ordered a USB wireless card. Xploitz had a good laugh at my expense on that one.
    I'm STILL laughting on that one..lol I even saved the PM..lol. Not trying to humiliate you...but that was PRICELESS!! Your a good sport.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

When I purchased my current laptop (about a year ago)...well actually, when my wife purchased my current laptop for me (while I was in Iraq), I gave her specific instructions that it had to have PCMCIA. It also has an Express card slot, which I haven't used...ever.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Bought a brand new notebook less than 3 months ago to add to my collection and it has both Express and PCMCIA by default. I do not see it being phased out anytime soon. Express cards have advantages but are not exploding on the market as of yet...
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post

this dlink adapter have a faulty transistor really weak when there's electricity flaws....i burn one ... i know 5 pers mini the same
    I'm living proof that this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    i advise WUSB54GC rt73 too, really out of the box (just 2 commands to activate inj and force prism header)
    It is an awesome card that works very well with these drivers or the Serial Monkey Drivers

As far as laptps coming without PCMCIA, when i bought my HP dv9260, the ONE thing that I overlooked was the lack of PCMCIA! One of the FIRST things I did was (tried) plug in my Senao card in the express slot and it took me a good 20 seconds to realize that it wasn't a full PCMCIA slot. Needless to say was extremely pissed off at this fact. I guess USB is the way of the future.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

I love my pcmcia, but usb seems to be what alot are moving to. Seems like it has a decent amount of advantages.

Try getting out to a client's site with your brand new fancy travel laptop (The kind where the CD rom and floppy are on cables), only to find you don't have a serial port! The one thing you absolutely have to have and you ain't got it!

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    When I purchased my current laptop (about a year ago)...well actually, when my wife purchased my current laptop for me (while I was in Iraq), I gave her specific instructions that it had to have PCMCIA. It also has an Express card slot, which I haven't used...ever.
    Has anyone ever even used an express slot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast