Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is coming

Default Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is coming

Hi all,

Well as mentioned in the subject line, I am looking for an application that tells which direction the frames from an AP(s) coming from.

I have done my due diligence of searching. This link http://www.tech-faq.com/wi-fi-software-tools.html lists a lot of tools, however none seems do the job.

A very close app for iphone is WiFiFoFum http://www.aspecto-software.com/wififofum

Usage: Say you are sitting in a location and scanning for wifi networks with airmon-ng. So you know signal strength of a particular AP which interests you, however the signal strength is not strong enough. So you need to get close to that AP however you do not know which direction you need to move to get closer to that AP. Hence am looking for an app which when you do the initial scan tells you which directions the APs are located respective to your position.

Does any such app exist, please?
    Regards to all.

Hannah

Default Re: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is comi

Default Re: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is comi

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    thanks.. I do have that app installed in my laptop... I have checked it again.. I believe the location of the AP is available through the Geo Map once the AP is cracked. However in my case this is BEFORE cracking the AP.

Moreover, unfortunately I have found Fern Wifi cracker quite unstable in my machine.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

There is a linux distribution that does that, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it right now. Anyways, for doing so you must be using a particular wifi antenna, a type called "unidirectional" if I'm not mistaken. I'll do my search during the day and update this post accordingly
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

You need a directional antenna, try to see here http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html or search for "cantenna"

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Try heatmapper from Ekahu, it sounds like exactly what you want;
    http://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview.html

Works best when you have floorplan layout / map

Hey thanks a lot for all your inputs:
    @comaX: Well it needs to work in BT as this is the OS we all be using to crack the APs..right
    @SilicaG: I would look too suspicious if I started to use Cantenna
    @TAPE: Unfortunately Ekahau HeatMapper is a Windows program. Good find though.

Well this is what I am doing now: I am using my IPhone and using this app: WiFiFoFum. Does close enough job and I won't look too suspicious I suppose.

All new ideas are welcome.

Cheers to all.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Well Heatmapper is a Windows based proggy, but as with many things, it is a mistake to limit yourself
    to one option only.
    (base your thinking on Martial Arts what works works, use what works )
    If another option does the job you want, it should not be discounted.
    With VMs, dual/live usb boots / Wine, there are options enough to make use of various tools
    scattered over various platforms.

edit
    ----
    Actually re-reading your post, you dont want a too obvious method of doing this.. using
    heatmapper with a laptop is then probably not the best solution
    But it is an interesting tool isnt it.
    Last edited by TAPE; 07-03-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by comaX View Post
    There is a linux distribution that does that, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it right now. Anyways, for doing so you must be using a particular wifi antenna, a type called "unidirectional" if I'm not mistaken. I'll do my search during the day and update this post accordingly
    OSWA Assistant and the tool it's called MoocherHunter.

EDIT: BTW, it's called a directional antenna, a.k.a yagi antenna.

Cheers
    Last edited by Snayler; 07-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    OSWA Assistant and the tool it's called MoocherHunter.
    I have now downloaded the OSWA ISO and here are couple of issues:

1. I do not think the developers want this ISO to run under any virtual environment
    2. Very poor mouse integration under Virtual Box Practically unoperable
    3. VMWare installation was better however just about any apps you open including moocherhunter, when you right click inside the shell the app just vanishes. Basically you need to just work in command line (which is ok)
    4. Here is the nail in the coffin: Moocherhunter only supports the following chipsets: PRISM54G, ATHEROS, RTL8187, RT2500, RT2570, IPW2200, IPW2915 where as I have:
    ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter

Search is still on.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast