Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is coming

Default Re: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is comi

Quote Originally Posted by hannah View Post
    I have now downloaded the OSWA ISO and here are couple of issues:
    1. I do not think the developers want this ISO to run under any virtual environment
    2. Very poor mouse integration under Virtual Box Practically unoperable
    3. VMWare installation was better however just about any apps you open including moocherhunter, when you right click inside the shell the app just vanishes. Basically you need to just work in command line (which is ok)
    Yes, I don't think the distro was made with virtualization in mind, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah View Post
    4. Here is the nail in the coffin: Moocherhunter only supports the following chipsets: PRISM54G, ATHEROS, RTL8187, RT2500, RT2570, IPW2200, IPW2915 where as I have: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
    I'm sorry to hear that. When I first discovered moocherhunter, I had at least one of the those, so the limitations weren't an issue for me.
    Either way, it won't work the way you want. As I understand, you don't want to use a directional antenna, and this is an important piece of hardware for this method to work, because you'll just need to point it and check were the signal strength is better. With omnidirectional antennas, you'll have to wander in circles in order to determine the direction of the frames, and still it would be very difficult.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a wifi radar which tells the direction of the frames of an AP is comi

@Snayler : yes, thanks for filling in for my bad memory and approximate terms I wasn't too far off though ! And I agree with everything else you said, so you save me some time and thinking !
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Yeah.. using directional antenna will just make me too obvious. I will just keep using WiFiFoFum in my Iphone. Does close enough job.

Thanks to all and still looking.

I use wigle to perform a big area scan (android APP) and import the map on google maps.
    Then use another android APP called "analizzatore di rete" to refine my search.

Quote Originally Posted by SilicaG View Post
    I use wigle to perform a big area scan (android APP) and import the map on google maps.
    Then use another android APP called "analizzatore di rete" to refine my search.
    Ok..my better half has got a Galaxy 3 phone.. I gotta try this out.. thanks for pointing this out.. cheers

Just burned his ISO

Any wifi device has an omnidirectional antenna, which receives signals from anywhere. The only way to use this is for you to physically move closer and further away from the source, to determine its location out of signal strength. This is why a directional antenna, of any size, would be helpful. Seems like a small -panel- antenna would be inconspicuous.

Now have tried wigle and Wifi Analyzer in Android. Looks good as well. Thanks for the advice.

WiFiFoFum doesn't really tell you what direction the signal is coming from either. It's just guessing, and throwing the ssid's on the "radar" image based on signal strength. You'll never get a very accurate picture from a single omnidirectional antenna. Even with a directional antenna you might get a direction, but depending on the environment, you might actually get a better signal off a reflection, which might actually be stronger if something else is directly between you and the ap. Anybody who's played in a fox and hound hunt will tell you this.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    WiFiFoFum doesn't really tell you what direction the signal is coming from either. It's just guessing, and throwing the ssid's on the "radar" image based on signal strength.
    You are very right. However in the radar screen it does tell you if the signal is getting stronger when you walk around. Kind of approximate guess. Yes I do get it that it's not possible to pin point the location of the AP and that is not the goal either. The goal is to get closer and get a better signal strength so that we can crack it say with 'reaver' tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12