Thread: LiveCD vs. Installation to hd

Just burned his ISO

Default LiveCD vs. Installation to hd

Hello,

I've just started playing around with BackTrack 2 being booted off of a LiveCD as of last night - good stuff. Today, I installed it to a partition using the BackTrack Installer, but it behaves much differently, mainly with modules not loading. The LiveCD works great - it finds all my components (Ethernet, Orinoco wifi card, sound, mouse, etc..), but when booting from the hd none of the modules get loaded. Is there a way to make it function properly again with ease? I know having any/all modules loaded is slower, but I'd rather it work than not, and not having to try to find out what all of the module names I would need to load. Thanks!

If you watch the video made by muts, (you'll find a link to it on the Wiki), and follow it to the letter then you are guaranteed to be successfull. However, if you've only just started using BT then stick to the Live CD until you've got a feel for it because it's very easy to mess up a permanent install by changing things...whereas if you boot from the CD then everything will be the same everytime you load it.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

or do a live install like that

create 2 part on usb (one fat32 one ext2)
    on first (fat) extract bt iso go in /boot run bootinst.sh or .bat(win)
    boot, get the id of the second part (/dev/XXX)

either boot bt with bt changes=/dev/XXX

the changes will be saved on ext2 part... so same benefit of hd install, and if you mess up things, only 2 dir to delete and you are back to a virgin install

....the best method i think...
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.