Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

Default Re: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I'm just so impatient to get into BT and start messing with all the tools. The Live USB and VM works fine for me now. I'm don't really trust myself just yet to compromise my Win7 partition because I have critical (critical to me) data on it. I'll probably get around to it soon though. lol

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

Quote Originally Posted by fighterhayabusa View Post
    Hello,

I have no CD-media for Windows 7 so I really don't want to have to re-install it (not sure how I would do that without the recovery partition in place and untouched).

I'm hoping I could just install BT5R2 on partition 3 (or in the space which currently holds partition 3 at least) somehow and not touch the rest of the partitions much but I'm just not sure where to start here.

Any and all advice and pointers would be very much appreciated.
    Unfortunatley, as to what I've read, one of the possible solutions is to erase the whole disk, get a Win7 DVD and install..Then create partitions for the BT5 and swap...But again, you need to read...Please refer to wikipedia and ask for UEFI..There are somo other methods but not all of them works.....

Good friend of the forums

I have a dual UEFI boot system of Windows 7 and BT5R3. You cannot mix and match BIOS and UEFI on the same disk. So a BIOS install of windows 7 will not co-exist with a UEFI Linux. Next BT5 does not support being booted as a UEFI boot source. You will have to modify a USB install of BT5. I suggest getting the lastest Ubuntu CD as that is UEFI bootable. Copy the files from the Ubuntu CD to the usb thumb drive and edit grub.cfg. I am sorry but I don't have a Ubuntu CD on me. It would be nice if the BT5 authors added UEFI support to BT5R4 or whatever the nice version ends up being. It really is not as difficult as people make it out to be now. Even 4 months ago a UEFI install was more difficult as you had to compile grub for UEFI support yourself. Ubuntu compiled it for you so you can just use their files.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

Dual Boot XP Backtrack5R3
    How to remove older Backtrack(BT) from XP and reinstall BT5R3 to your harddrive.

There are always other methods, this is just how we do it quickly as we re-did six(6) computers

Requirements:

XP install disk
    Acronis Disk Director Suite(Try searching and download + crack thru isohunt torrents/utorrent)
    BT5R3 install disk

The work here is not original, we have simply encapsulated several sources into one(1) file and outlined solutions to the problems we encountered when following their advice.

Begin:
    First you need to revert to the old xp boot system so it ignores the dual boot installed by BT.

1. Boot the computer with an XP install disk

We have found that after installing a dual boot XP/BT system, getting the XP install disk to boot can become difficult. If the computer will not boot from the CD first check the boot order in your computers' BIOS to make sure the computer tries to boot from the CD source before the Harddrive(HD). Then start the computer and run the BIOS and then leave the BIOS and let the computer try and boot an operating system. After a few tries of start, goto BIOS, then boot an operating system you should be able to get the computer to boot from the XP CD. Note we have had this problem on a number of different computers AND with different XP install disks.

2. After the computer boots the XP install disk it will run for a while and then ask if you want to repair or install?

3. Choose R for repair. TYPE R!!! DONOT INSTALL uless you want a new XP operating system.

4. You will now get a prompt something like this:

1 c:\WINDOWS__

Choose(Type) 1 or the folder number where windows is installed. Go thru the menu:

5. Eventually you will now see a DOS? prompt window something like this:

c:\WINDOWS___

7. Type FIXMBR {Enter}

8. Type FIXBOOT {Enter}

Remove the XP install disk and reboot computer.

The Backtrack startup page should be gone and the computer will automatically start in windows as windows has overwritten the dual boot startup installed by linux.

Open Acronis Disk Director installed in XP. You now need to remove the linux partitions and change them to NFTS. You do not have to use Acroinis if you know other methods.

Using Acronis delete the two(2) Linux partitions ie Linux EXT4 (ext3?)and Linux Swap. They will become unallocated.

If your computer has two(2) NFTS partitions C and D and the Windows operating system is on C increase the size of D so that the unallocated(deleted) linux partitons disappear into D. If your computer has only one parition C., formate the unallocated space as another NFTS partition called D.In the end it is only important that all the partitons are NFTS. There should be no unallocated space remaining and no linux partitions.

Start XP again and once loaded shut it down.

Start the computer using a BT installation disk

Run BT from the disk.

Once loaded you will see an Install BT Icon in upper left-hand corner of screen

Go thru the install steps till you arrive at the install side by side page. Select side by side.

You can adjust the BT partition size by sliding the yellow bar if you want to increase the linux partition size.

The install process will taKE 20 TO 30 minutes. Once completed shut the computer down, remove the BT CD and restart to check the dual boot system. Start the computer in BT running the program from your HD.

Now to update your BT5R3

There are listing sources missing in the /etc/apt/sources.list file. Open the sources.list file with Kate and add the following two(2) lines of code to etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing

The sources list file that we used that worked as of 14 Dec 12 is listed below:

deb http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing

Get an internet connect thru WICD

Open a terminal window

type

apt-get update

Once this process finished type

apt-get upgrade

The second process will take a long time so have patience.

NOW if you want to load the dhcpd3-server type

apt-get install dhcp3-server -y

If you try and load the dhcpd3-server before the upgrade is completed it will fail.

Phew!?!? You should now have an nice XP/BT5R3 package. We will shortly add a WPA phishing system to these blogs which rqrs the dhcp3-server.

Just burned their ISO

Wow..that was a long post

Alright, hi bofh28, im back again

Win7 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 12.10 x64 now are dual-booting UEFI together in perfect (maybe) peace
    What i simple did was install Win7 1st, followed by manual partitioning in ubuntu-installer. Reboot

somehow...hehe..ubuntu became the default OS to boot, no grub boot menu at all..

Logged into ubuntu, installed boot-repair and did a "Recommended Repair" and BAMMM, grub2.00 menu with a lot of funny options, but dual-booting not an issue anymore

And in regards to BT5R3, no wonder there was no UEFI DVD-ROM boot option, as you mentioned BT5R3 does not support UEFI-booting.
    (which of course explains why everyone is forcing BIOS boot mode)

As of now i have another laptop XP and BT5R3, perfect peace there =)
    I guess BT5 can wait.

I am just curious about something.
    Can we simply add a menuentry into grub.cfg to point to BT5's installed partition?
    I ran "sudo blkid" to find out the uuid of all the partitions.

And yes, i'm triple booting, must be too excited with the successful dual-booting lol...

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnion View Post
    Wow..that was a long post

Alright, hi bofh28, im back again

Win7 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 12.10 x64 now are dual-booting UEFI together in perfect (maybe) peace
    What i simple did was install Win7 1st, followed by manual partitioning in ubuntu-installer. Reboot

somehow...hehe..ubuntu became the default OS to boot, no grub boot menu at all..

Logged into ubuntu, installed boot-repair and did a "Recommended Repair" and BAMMM, grub2.00 menu with a lot of funny options, but dual-booting not an issue anymore

And in regards to BT5R3, no wonder there was no UEFI DVD-ROM boot option, as you mentioned BT5R3 does not support UEFI-booting.
    (which of course explains why everyone is forcing BIOS boot mode)

As of now i have another laptop XP and BT5R3, perfect peace there =)
    I guess BT5 can wait.

I am just curious about something.
    Can we simply add a menuentry into grub.cfg to point to BT5's installed partition?
    I ran "sudo blkid" to find out the uuid of all the partitions.

And yes, i'm triple booting, must be too excited with the successful dual-booting lol...
    That is the right method to do it, until linux installers include the UEFI boot. Sooner than later, even Ubuntu and Debian are being installed..

Install linux as always, then you will have to fix the boot partition using a live DVD..Mount it and copy a grub-efi-xx64 or 32 (This is in Debian testing), rebuild it and reboot. This is in general the method.

Luck.

Good friend of the forums

I glad it all worked out for you. UEFI is becoming more popular. If the computer supports that is how I install it. Post the contents of your grub.cfg and I will tell you if you can add to it.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12