Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

Hello,

I have an Asus EeePC 1225B with an existing Windows 7 installation on it. The hard drive layout is like this

Partition 1: UEFI Boot 15MB
    Partition 2: C:\ Windows 7 100GB
    Partition 3: D:\ Empty NTFS partition 200GB
    Partition 4: Win7 Recovery partition 15GB

I'd like to install Backtrack 5R2 on this laptop but this is my first experience UEFI so I'm a bit cautious and don't really know where to start.

I have no CD-media for Windows 7 so I really don't want to have to re-install it (not sure how I would do that without the recovery partition in place and untouched).

I'm hoping I could just install BT5R2 on partition 3 (or in the space which currently holds partition 3 at least) somehow and not touch the rest of the partitions much but I'm just not sure where to start here.

Any and all advice and pointers would be very much appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

I had a big problem with my Asus zenbbok prime Ux31a
    Couldn't install Backtrack r3 because when i boot thru usb image Ican't Choose the option with UEFI', and the regular instalation crashes and detete the system recovery image
    Same thing happens with BlackUbuntu
    The only flavor the goes thru it's regular Ubuntu
    I need to install Balcktrack here, """""""Please if any body had the same problem """""""" Help me

UEFI doesn't load for BackTRack...

Default Re: Dual boot BT5R2 + Win7 on UEFI netbook with existing Win7-installation

@fighterhayabusa
    research acronis. It will help you create a recovery partition.

Knovis512

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by obzshell View Post
    I had a big problem with my Asus zenbbok prime Ux31a
    Couldn't install Backtrack r3 because when i boot thru usb image Ican't Choose the option with UEFI', and the regular instalation crashes and detete the system recovery image
    Same thing happens with BlackUbuntu
    The only flavor the goes thru it's regular Ubuntu
    I need to install Balcktrack here, """""""Please if any body had the same problem """""""" Help me

UEFI doesn't load for BackTRack...
    Did you ever get this working? I have now spent this weekend installing, reinstalling, reading page after page on the internet and my current status is I have Win 8 installed and booting, but backtrack only installed and not booting. I have been trying to use the Boot Repair cd, but it doens't even do anything to my system. It first said I should use the 64 bit Ubuntu, so I tried backtrack 5 r3 64 bit, but with NO difference.

This is frustrating me to the point where I am considering returning the Ux31a back to where i baught it from.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I actually quit trying to get BT installed on my machine parallel to Win7 because I'm too stupid to figure out how the partitioning works. Lol.

I just decided to create a small FAT32 partition to store files I need accessable (notes, scripts, pwd files,etc), then boot off the live USB. The only drawback I can think of is any updates or installs wont save after rebooting. But I can use my existing BT Virtual machine for that purpose.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fliprich View Post
    I actually quit trying to get BT installed on my machine parallel to Win7 because I'm too stupid to figure out how the partitioning works. Lol.
    No one that I know was born knowing, no one...It is a matter of reading and trying to understand and even then, you have some doubts (is normal), ask in the forums, we are all here to help each other..Some people get it faster than others, but in the end, they all learn, which is the final objective, learn..How?..It takes 2 things only:
    1. Reading and reading and reading
    2. Take the reading to the practice. Try it, do it, "Just do it", but with the reading as your background..

luck.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I'm just so impatient to get into BT and start messing with all the tools. The Live USB and VM works fine for me now. I'm don't really trust myself just yet to compromise my Win7 partition because I have critical (critical to me) data on it. I'll probably get around to it soon though. lol

Just burned his ISO

Dual Boot XP Backtrack5R3
    How to remove older Backtrack(BT) from XP and reinstall BT5R3 to your harddrive.

There are always other methods, this is just how we do it quickly as we re-did six(6) computers

Requirements:

XP install disk
    Acronis Disk Director Suite(Try searching and download + crack thru isohunt torrents/utorrent)
    BT5R3 install disk

The work here is not original, we have simply encapsulated several sources into one(1) file and outlined solutions to the problems we encountered when following their advice.

Begin:
    First you need to revert to the old xp boot system so it ignores the dual boot installed by BT.

1. Boot the computer with an XP install disk

We have found that after installing a dual boot XP/BT system, getting the XP install disk to boot can become difficult. If the computer will not boot from the CD first check the boot order in your computers' BIOS to make sure the computer tries to boot from the CD source before the Harddrive(HD). Then start the computer and run the BIOS and then leave the BIOS and let the computer try and boot an operating system. After a few tries of start, goto BIOS, then boot an operating system you should be able to get the computer to boot from the XP CD. Note we have had this problem on a number of different computers AND with different XP install disks.

2. After the computer boots the XP install disk it will run for a while and then ask if you want to repair or install?

3. Choose R for repair. TYPE R!!! DONOT INSTALL uless you want a new XP operating system.

4. You will now get a prompt something like this:

1 c:\WINDOWS__

Choose(Type) 1 or the folder number where windows is installed. Go thru the menu:

5. Eventually you will now see a DOS? prompt window something like this:

c:\WINDOWS___

7. Type FIXMBR {Enter}

8. Type FIXBOOT {Enter}

Remove the XP install disk and reboot computer.

The Backtrack startup page should be gone and the computer will automatically start in windows as windows has overwritten the dual boot startup installed by linux.

Open Acronis Disk Director installed in XP. You now need to remove the linux partitions and change them to NFTS. You do not have to use Acroinis if you know other methods.

Using Acronis delete the two(2) Linux partitions ie Linux EXT4 (ext3?)and Linux Swap. They will become unallocated.

If your computer has two(2) NFTS partitions C and D and the Windows operating system is on C increase the size of D so that the unallocated(deleted) linux partitons disappear into D. If your computer has only one parition C., formate the unallocated space as another NFTS partition called D.In the end it is only important that all the partitons are NFTS. There should be no unallocated space remaining and no linux partitions.

Start XP again and once loaded shut it down.

Start the computer using a BT installation disk

Run BT from the disk.

Once loaded you will see an Install BT Icon in upper left-hand corner of screen

Go thru the install steps till you arrive at the install side by side page. Select side by side.

You can adjust the BT partition size by sliding the yellow bar if you want to increase the linux partition size.

The install process will taKE 20 TO 30 minutes. Once completed shut the computer down, remove the BT CD and restart to check the dual boot system. Start the computer in BT running the program from your HD.

Now to update your BT5R3

There are listing sources missing in the /etc/apt/sources.list file. Open the sources.list file with Kate and add the following two(2) lines of code to etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing

The sources list file that we used that worked as of 14 Dec 12 is listed below:

deb http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org main microverse non-free testing
    deb http://updates.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution main microverse non-free testing

Get an internet connect thru WICD

Open a terminal window

type

apt-get update

Once this process finished type

apt-get upgrade

The second process will take a long time so have patience.

NOW if you want to load the dhcpd3-server type

apt-get install dhcp3-server -y

If you try and load the dhcpd3-server before the upgrade is completed it will fail.

Phew!?!? You should now have an nice XP/BT5R3 package. We will shortly add a WPA phishing system to these blogs which rqrs the dhcp3-server.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

well let's see:
    In Partition 1: UEFI boot 15mb (has to be NTFS or FAT type filesystem)
    partition 2------ 100gb NTFS filesystem.
    partition 3------ Is a 200Gb NTFS empty partition.
    partition 4------ 15gb W7 recovery partition, so it should be a NTFS or FAT32 partition, otherwise the bootloader or bootmgr would not be able to see the partition. Very limited W7 bootloader...

No magic trick my friend, you need an external device to install or run a liveCD...So need to get an external device..Use a external DVD, and use a BT livecd...Once it boots up, open up a terminal and execute gparted..

You will see the HDD map and Filesystems GUI...See which one correspond to your 200gb partition: /dev/sdaX....Now create a 200gb extended partition on this 200gb partition. Once done that, now you can create within this 200gb Extended partition as many logical partitions as you want, for installing Linux distros in every partition you created, including BT5...The rest of the partitions always remain untoched...It only works on the partition indicated by user...

Please, read more about this issue in linux forums...When it comes to partitions, you need to have a basic linux background..READ first before trying something...Always backup your info..It won't hurt...

Do not be affraid of doing it, but do it with little knowledge..

Remember, BT5, is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS....

Luck

Just burned his ISO

@maverik35
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I was a bit unclear in my question. I'm very far from a Linux-noob so I actually know all about partitioning and all that already. My problem here is with the PC having UEFI instead of BIOS. I have no experience with UEFI before, only with BIOS. I'm wondering what will happen to the bootloader and so forth once I install BackTrack on partition 3 and if I need to do some special stuff and if UEFI can possibly trip me up in any way? That's my real question. Sorry for being unclear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast