Thread: Dual boot Windows 7

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual boot Windows 7

I'm primarily a windows user. I'm trying to dual boot with windows 7. I downloaded the BT5R2 64 GNOME ISO and burned a disc. When I pop in the disk it just windows just wants to burn another ISO disk from it. When I try to boot from disk it just doesn't work. Finally I got it to boot from pendrive using YUMI but when I boot it up it doesn't look anything like the videos or previews I've seen I just get the dragon graphic with a command line.

Question is how do I install this thing on a partition? From boot? From windows 7? From Ubuntu 12.10? Any type of actual install from the ISO.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Dual boot Windows 7

If you don't know how to start the desktop environment, then you probably shouldn't use BackTrack..

To install BackTrack to a harddrive, you click the install BackTrack shortcut on the desktop.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by stepking2 View Post
    If you don't know how to start the desktop environment, then you probably shouldn't use BackTrack..
    Could have said startx. I figured it out. Got this thing running.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Download the ISO, image, just burn it on a DVD, then reboot with it..Simple..Do not unrar or unzip the ISO as a have seen people doing it in some posts...Just download ISO and burn it....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Download the ISO, image, just burn it on a DVD, then reboot with it..Simple..Do not unrar or unzip the ISO as a have seen people doing it in some posts...Just download ISO and burn it....
    Thanks. I'll try this a few more times.

Just burned their ISO b4ckupn0w's Avatar

sounds like you need grub, the boot loader. theres a lot documentation out there on how to configure it. it will allow you to select an OS of when you turn on your PC. BT was never designed to work like Windows. It definitely makes use of the cmdlne.

Just burned his ISO

I was having problems getting my Asus Netbook to boot from a 32GB usb drive in an attempt to install BackTrack 5. I downloaded the .iso file and extracted the files from the .iso and placed them directly on my usb drive. This was a mistake as the contents of the .iso file do not seem to have a boot loader and I was unable to boot my usb.

I ended up downloading YUMI and running it on a separate computer since my netbook is slow to load. I ran YUMI browsed to the BT5-KDE-32.iso file and set the output to my usb drive, this put the necessary boot loader information on the usb, as well as the BackTrack files needed for installation.

Once I booted into YUMI I was able to launch the installation of backtrack 5. The following was already provided in a previous post but, it is important to note that you will be required to type "startx" to kick things off.