Thread: VMWare + BT5 R2 -> No networking

Just burned his ISO

Default VMWare + BT5 R2 -> No networking

Folks,

this has been driving me mad for a week now, could use some fresh thought on the potential issue here...

Have BT5 R2 running on VMWare workstation 8. The network adapter is set to Bridged mode (hence the BT VM gets its own IP address from the gateway). The 'Replicate Physical network state' is checked.

My primary ways of getting network connectivity to the VM are the following. However, both of them are not working now. I have used both of these methods previously before the kernel upgrade.

1) Using a D-link DWA-125 usb adapter: This gets detected as an rt2800 usb device. However, I'm not able to detect a single wifi network when scanning with wicd (Confirmed that the preferences have the correct wlan interface). This happens even though i'm sitting next to the wireless router.

2) using a wired network. I brought up the interface and used the following commands

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1/24
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf

dhclient 3 eth0
    however, the dhcp client is not able to obtain an ip address from the gateway. Also, I'm not able to ping the gateway itself.

I'm on version 3.2.6 of the kernel.

Any ideas / thoughts on what I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your time.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: VMWare + BT5 R2 -> No networking

Quote Originally Posted by tryxiej View Post
    Folks,

this has been driving me mad for a week now, could use some fresh thought on the potential issue here...

Have BT5 R2 running on VMWare workstation 8. The network adapter is set to Bridged mode (hence the BT VM gets its own IP address from the gateway). The 'Replicate Physical network state' is checked.

My primary ways of getting network connectivity to the VM are the following. However, both of them are not working now. I have used both of these methods previously before the kernel upgrade.

1) Using a D-link DWA-125 usb adapter: This gets detected as an rt2800 usb device. However, I'm not able to detect a single wifi network when scanning with wicd (Confirmed that the preferences have the correct wlan interface). This happens even though i'm sitting next to the wireless router.

2) using a wired network. I brought up the interface and used the following commands

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up

dhclient 3 eth0
    however, the dhcp client is not able to obtain an ip address from the gateway. Also, I'm not able to ping the gateway itself.

I am using Vmware in the same way,Bridge mode and checking the replicate option.
    When i run backtrack i just type "dhcliente" ,and that s all,i am able to ping the gateway or any other pc.
    Try only that.
    Alexo

Just burned his ISO

Okay, so after few more days of banging my head around, I figured that problem 1 was resolved when I have the ssid broadcast enabled on the router. I really hate to have this enabled.

Any ideas why this is happening? I know for a fact that I had never enabled this before. The wifi adapter is a d-link DWA-125 and the router is a linksys E-2000.

thanks.

Just burned their ISO b4ckupn0w's Avatar

check vmware for software updates. seems like a VMware sw issue.

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: VMWare + BT5 R2 -> No networking

It's not VMWare SW issues. I have the latest version and all the updates for the latest version of VMWare and I have the same issue. It says the linux-sources are not installed.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryxiej View Post
    Folks,

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up

dhclient 3 eth0

You are using the 192.168.1.1 ip for your machine and adding the gateway route as default at 192.168.1.1?..There is no way it will work...You are using the same ip for laptop and gateway (default gateway route).....How do you expect to connect or authenticate your laptop in the router if you are using the same ip?..

By the way, just as info:
    1. You do not need to add this line: echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
    Once you change "on the fly" your ip, Netrwork manager will update its default route (Gateway route)...
    2. Just type dhclient eth0.

Luck...