Thread: Backtrack installed now can't dualboot or replace OS

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack installed now can't dualboot or replace OS

Okay so originally I wanted to install Dell's project sputnik (a custom Ubuntu image with custom driver support for my laptop, http://hwe.ubuntu.com/uds-q/dellxps/) and then just install the backtrack tools in Ubuntu but for some reason I couldn't get it to install even though the downloaded .bz2 and the iso have both been sha256sum verified for multiple downloads and trying various bootloaders on Win 7, Vista, OSX and Ubuntu. Since I bought my Dell xps in Asia the preinstalled Windows 7 was in Chinese and I was unable to read the error messages that I saw when trying to install. I figured if I could actually read the error messages that would at least guide be able to install the OS I want. I have been using Backtrack 5r1 as a live boot for awhile so I thought I would install at as my primary OS and from there install sputnik. I successfully installed Backtrack5r2 gnome with no issues but since then I have tried installing Sputnik, Ubuntu, Mint, Win 7 and Win Vista. All check sum verified, and loaded onto various usb sticks with various bootloaders and OS's again Win 7, Vista, OSX, Ubuntu and Backtrack5r2 Gnome. The installs have come out error free but when I try to boot from the drive all I see is "Operating system not found" every time. I have been at this for 3 weeks and it is driving me crazy. Is there anything to Backtrack5r2 that would prevent me from dualbooting? Has anyone encountered anything like this? Heard of anything like this? Any suggestions? Please.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: Backtrack installed now can't dualboot or replace OS

I do not understand very well what is going on...You have installed BT5r2, Am I correct?....You can install other OS but when trying to boot from them, It comes out with "Operating System not found", Am I correct?..

Can you load the BT5 and it shows desktop and everything?...Or happens the same thing as the other OS?

Need to be more specific to help you....

Do you can boot up from BT5?...

Default Re: Backtrack installed now can't dualboot or replace OS

if you don't want to dual boot, why not use virtual machine for your other OS?it will solve your problem im sure.