Thread: Unable to dual boot with windows 7

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Unable to dual boot with windows 7

Hi all!

I would like to preface this thread saying that I am not incompetent when it comes to computers, I have seen that some people have the view that if you are unable to install backtrack, then you shouldn't even bother using it.

Anyway to continue with my problem. I am trying to dual boot backtrack 5 R2 KDE 64bit with windows 7, when I go in to the whole install backtrack wizard and come up to the part where you would normally select, something along the lines of, install alongside windows 7; this option is not there for me, I have tried creating another partition in windows but that doesn't even show up, even leaving unallocated space doesn't show up. I have an HP dm4 (laptop), if thats of any help.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards

Default Re: Unable to dual boot with windows 7

That might be because if you have a standard Windows install that comes with the computer, HP includs one or more recovery and other partitions. Sp you may have the maximum amount of partitions.

The best thing would be to backup your files in the Windows install and do a clean install of Windows and BackTrack :-)

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by stepking2 View Post
    That might be because if you have a standard Windows install that comes with the computer, HP includs one or more recovery and other partitions. Sp you may have the maximum amount of partitions.

The best thing would be to backup your files in the Windows install and do a clean install of Windows and BackTrack :-)

I already made out a maximum amount of partitions in windows 7 and one of the partition i already formatted ,and again when i try to install BT 5 R3 ,the unallocated space is not showing. then how can i installed it. please provide me a solution.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Boot up with BT5 dvd live, open up a terminal and run: fdisk -l
    or : ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
    or: blkid
    also run gparted and please post result.

Please post output to see the map partitions. You can post the three results of the 4 commands.

Before making a partition, you should have the Win7 and the recovery partitions. So it leaves you with no space to install..That's why it cannot install beside win7....

You would have to first Shrink the Win7 partition, then create a 2 new partitions (one for BT5 and the other one for the swap ) in the space left when shrinking W7 partiton.

BT5 partition with ext4 Filesystem, the other one choose the "swap".

All this you can do it with gparted...Then just apply changes...

In the next boot, you should see the partitions, but this time, go with manual install, and select the partition you created as ext4 (bt5). Begin to install.

Luck..
    Last edited by maverik35; 06-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the replies!

@stepking2 I think you are right.

@maverik35 In the whole process in doing this I accidentally changed my partitions from basic to dynamic (which apparently isn't the best thing to have), also you apparently can't convert dynamic back to basic without doing an entire reformat. So I'm going to have to reformat my whole drive, which will probably eliminate the need to do the steps you said to take. However thanks a lot for the assistance!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

When you have used the maximum partitions allowed (by bios is 4), you need indeed to erase one and create two, the EXT4 filesystem partition and the swap partition.

The thing here is that you need 2 partitions. You only have one left. So need to create an extended partition with the new partition and then create the 2 partitons within the extended (BT5 and swap).

The swap partiton about 1gb...Use gparted live disk or use the BT5 live disk and run gparted, erase the partition you want and create a new one as extended, not primary.

Then create 2 logical partitions to install BT5 with "manual" option.

Ex:
    HDD: 100gb
    /dev/sda1=Win7
    /dev/sda2=partition2
    /dev/sda3=partiiton3
    /dev/sda4=partition4 (30Gb)

To install bt5, you can erase any of those 4, let's say /dev/sda4.

Run gparted from BT5 live dvd or USB: open a terminal and type gparted
    locate the partition 4 (/dev/sda4), erase partition.
    create a new partition. Select the empty one that you just erased.
    Create it as Extended, not primary then apply changes. At this point you extended partition is 30GB. So you can create as many Logical partition as you want , but do not exceed the 30gb all together.

Then go to extended partition and create a logical partition (it will be assigned the /dev/sda5) as ext4 file system and label "BT5" per say, and give it let's say 29gb.
    Then within the extended partition (30Gb) you have left 1gb, create a new partition of 1gb as swap partition (it will be assign /dev/sda6)
    Apply changes.

Now install BT5 with manual option, select the partition to install BT5, guess which one?..Yes, /dev/sda5, mount point is /, the rest is just hitting "enter"..

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by maverik35; 03-21-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Just burned their ISO

yea i just used to have the same problem but solved it out.

if u want to have the selection:install alongside windows" well maybe u should burn the iso file onto a DVD then choose install backtrack in the boot menu of the live cd. well that worked for me. and ur partitions... well i think that u should first run the live cd of backtrack and use Gparted program to make partitions out of ur unallocated space. then u should first create a partition table... its in the menu in the top of the program. once u've done it u should allocate a space for the partition which u want to install the OS on. once u've allocated it u should reformat the partition to EXT4. that perfectly worked fr me. ok. now reboot ur pc and put the DVD into the ROM and continue installation.if any problems contact me, it would be my pleasure to help. wild_cow2010@yahoo.com