Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Errors on boot with live USB

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Errors on boot with live USB

Since this thread is on the topic, I'll ask my question here rather than starting up a new one.

I'm also planning on booting BT5 from a USB flash, but I am unsure as to whether I should boot it from a live USB flash or simply do a full install of BT5 onto the flash drive (provided that the drive is large enough, e.g., 32GB+). Am I correct to believe that I have both the option of putting the ISO file onto the USB (via programs like Lili, uNetBootin, Linux PenDrive Creator, etc...) and running BT5 directly from the ISO AND the option to fully install BT5 onto the USB drive? And if yes, which option should I choose? Will there be a speed advantage if I fully install BT5 as opposed to running it off an ISO?

Just burned their ISO

Hey there,
    I don't know how to start a new thread so I am asking my question on this one. Hopefully someone can help me. I finally figured out how to install Backtrack 5 to my hard disc. It was a dual boot with Windows 7. The problem that I had was that after the installation finished my pc would not prompt me which system I wanted at start up. I wanted to start over to try and get it right this time but when I put the live USB in and rebooted my computer it just went to a black screen that said, "grub recovery" I don't have any idea what to do know.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by LarrySteeze View Post
    From what I've found, if you are using a persistent USB install, you will run into problems (like this error) if one of a few things happens:

1. The machine is not shut down properly (for example, if you simply turn the power off)

2. If you remove the USB drive at any time while the system is running

3. If you remove the USB drive after running the shut down command, but before it prompts you to remove the media (see #2).

This may not be such an issue on other distros (though it's never recommended), but in my experience, has been an issue with this one. I've had that exact same error in the past as well as one with X. I don't currently have a workaround, other than avoiding the three things I mentioned above, (and if you get that error, remaking the boot image), but I'm sure one does exist. It's simply a matter of fixing the corrupted or missing files.
    Hi, I'm a concerned Noob.
    Any update on this error? [ ###.######] EXT2 -fs (loop1): ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: ####### - I got this once after 'shutdown now' cmd and thought this must be reason. Since then I was very careful not to do anything unusual and made sure I got 'remove media message'. After 2 boot the Live USB failed to work.
    How can I 'recover a windows password' etc in the field, if my Boot disk fails to work?
    Trying USB Live following successful VMWare intro.
    Not confident in build to install to HD1

Just burned their ISO

Lightbulb Re: Errors on boot with live USB

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieJon View Post
    Hi, I'm a concerned Noob.
    Any update on this error? [ ###.######] EXT2 -fs (loop1): ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: ####### - I got this once after 'shutdown now' cmd and thought this must be reason. Since then I was very careful not to do anything unusual and made sure I got 'remove media message'. After 2 boot the Live USB failed to work.
    How can I 'recover a windows password' etc in the field, if my Boot disk fails to work?
    Trying USB Live following successful VMWare intro.
    Not confident in build to install to HD1
    -Added-
    So I have noticed something - on UnetBootIn www.sourceforge.net - There is an option to set an amount of memory for file persistence across boot. This says for Ubuntu only - I had set this as Ubuntu is debian based as is BT5?
    Perhaps this was my error so have reflashed my USB leaving this as 0bytes.
    Will see how this goes

Just burned their ISO

Latest update not through moderators yet.

Must allocate Memory between boots to keep persistence - e.g. python scripts to automate PenTest tools (Credit ViolentPython - http://www.violentpython.org) and settings.
    Read(Red) up on GNOME / KDE (Credit http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/features/gnome-vs-kde pages 0 -5 )
    GNOME VMWare image on my Win7 used = great intro. & GNOME Iso for Live-USB = problems - 16GB SanDisk CF via USB2 reader.

Now have SanDisk 32GB Cruzer switch USB stick (ASDA $15.99) or 22 pounds in real money
    I am going for KDE 32bit:

I have 64bit laptop but want to 'roam' with my tool-kit so figure I need to burn 32-bit usb to be fully universal to host machines.
    I use KDE on Fedora-16 and have had no issues compared with the trouble I've had using GNOME(USB-live only) - VMWare image has been fine.

Hope this helps others in my uncertain position & wish me luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12