Thread: Where is my GPS on BackTrack?

Just burned his ISO

Default Where is my GPS on BackTrack?

I have some experience on Linux, but not much. But I need to use Kismet to gather statistics on the use of WEP and WPA. Kismet does see networks. The next step is to connect my GPS to Kismet. I have googled and youtube'd for days. And I am not much wiser. I do need some guidance.

Articles and forums tell me that I need to find it in BackTrack first. Ok. I haven't the slightest clue as to where to look for it. But my google quest has brought me to this.

command: lsusb
    answer: Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1390:5454 TOMTOM B.V
    also: If my GPS stops after a while and I restart it, everything in this command stays the same except Device which can change.

Further googling and BackTrack forums gives me this:
    "This is so easy. All you have to do is "dmesg" and there you go". Ok.
    command: dmesg | less
    answer: pages and pages.
    Question: What am I looking for? Bus? Device? TOMTOM? ID? I certainly cannot find TOMTOM.

Yet, further googling gives me this:
    "Usually it's at /dev ttyUSB0". Ok. I have no ttyUSB0.
    Question? Is this what I want? Or need? Do I have to make a ttyUSB0 or can it be somewhere else?

For the fun of it, I did try a "/etc/init.d/gpsd stop .. and restart and it seemed like the GPS connected in some way with a JSON response.

I did do a ls command on gps and gpsd and there are plenty of pages that pop up. So I guess everything is installed for this to work.

For the experienced this is probably simple. Or at least they might know what to search for or the correct google strings to get somewhere. I have tried plenty. Googling, YouTubing, different forums including BackTrack and Kismet.

Please, guide me in the right direction. What am I looking for?
    Using a Toshiba Satellite M645 with BackTrack 5 R1 installed on the harddrive. KDE 64-bit.
    GPS is a TomTom (1005 - Norwegian number).

The end result is off course that it connects to Kismet. Yes, I have read the forum rules and right now, Kismet is not the problem. Finding it in BackTrack is the main priority.

Hashes

Default Re: Where is my GPS on BackTrack?

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for responding. I did come across this tutorial and I thought YES! And the first thing it says is that to get the GPS module assigned and activated we need to do the folowing command:
    command: gpsd -N -n -D 3 /dev/ttyUSB0
    answer: gpsd: device open failed: No such file or directory
    answer: GPS device /dev/ttyUSB0 nonexistent or can't be read

Like I stated earlier; lsusb with the GPS insertet gives me one extra line
    " Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1390:5454 TOMTOM B.V. " where the device number can change.

I did get a hint on another forum. DMESG with and without the GPS inserted and find the difference.
    I did. I don't quite know what I am searching for, so no chance for a grep. But I copied the text unto
    KWrite, side by side and found identical lines and deleted. After hm... 8 hours I ended up with these extra lines of text, extra in the dmesg with GPS inserted.

" Magic number: 15:728:249 " They where in both, but the number was different.
    " acpi device:5f: hash matches "
    " Freeing unused kernel memory: 1760k freed "
    " usb 2-1.2: new high speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd "
    " cdc_ether 2-1.2:1.0: usb0: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00=1d.0-1.2 CDC Ethernet Device, 02:04:06:08:0a:0c "
    "usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether "

So, lsusb gives me Device 003 and DMESG gives me device number 3 and I have a line of text saying usb0.
    I am still not sure what to do with this, but at least there is a USB0.

Then, reaching for straws, I googled ehci_hcd and cdc_ether. And somewhere along the search there was a
    command: config -a which showed USB0. So I tried.

And amongst eth0 and wlan0 comes USB0. YIPPI.
    USB0 comes when the GPS is connected. And nothing when the GPS is not connected.

But there is no /dev/ttyUSB0. There is also no rfcomm0 which Kismet shows.
    And when I do a;
    command: "locate tty" or anything else inside dev, tons of things pop up.
    command: "locate USB0" or rmfcomm0, nothing. The cursor moves to the next line and waits for further instructions.

But I know USB0 exists, which is a step in the right direction. I did get one of those silly AHA experiences doing this. Inserting and taking out the GPS, nodding and hmmm, ok. So I am guessing that whatever connects to the USB port first, becomes a USB0. And for now, that's the GPS. Ans lsusb gives me TOMTOM.

So I am doing my homework. Googling and YouTubing. But not quite sure where to take it from here. Where is USB0 located in my system? Why not in /dev? Why do I need it?

And now that I know the answer to the extra lines of text is DMESG, I thought I would grep my KWrite file, just to see what would pop up if I grep'ed the ubs0. But the file need an ending. But all it states is that it's a plain text file. Haven't tried .ptf, but nothing seems to work. I tried googling that too, but haven't put too much energy into it yet. My Linux skills are horrible, but I am getting there, and finally using the tab button to have Linux write out the words for me.

So, like I said, Thank You for your advice. Much appreciated, but even though I have come a bit further, I still need some guidance.

Hashes

Good friend of the forums

Did you try:
    gpsd -N -n -D 3 /dev/USB0

also try ls /dev |more and what is there.

Disclaimer I have no GPS devices
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Pretty sure your tomtom isn't going to work, actually I can pretty much guarantee it. You need a gps that outputs nmea data.

Here's a good list to choose from. Should be able to pick one up pretty cheap on flea-bay.

http://catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html
    Last edited by Barry; 10-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Bofh28: Thanks. I did try it but to it was still a no-go.
    Barry: You are absolutely right. I did eventually find this page, but I wish I had found it sooner. I bought my TOMTOM only to use for wardriving. I looked around the internet and talked to other people. My conclusion was that since it was brand new it would work. But that was purely my mistake. I didn't search well enough and I didn't talk to the right people. And since this wardriving project is part of a bachelor project which has a ending date in the end of the year, I panicked a little. So, I have now bought the ND-100s, which is on this page, and it came yesterday. It's on USB0. Now I got to try to get it to work with Kismet. I think the conf file is correct. And I do get a JSON connect. But "GPS not connected". So I'll search a little more. But thank you for the effort. I am at least getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by hashes View Post
    Bofh28: Thanks. I did try it but to it was still a no-go.
    Barry: You are absolutely right. I did eventually find this page, but I wish I had found it sooner. I bought my TOMTOM only to use for wardriving. I looked around the internet and talked to other people. My conclusion was that since it was brand new it would work. But that was purely my mistake. I didn't search well enough and I didn't talk to the right people. And since this wardriving project is part of a bachelor project which has a ending date in the end of the year, I panicked a little. So, I have now bought the ND-100s, which is on this page, and it came yesterday. It's on USB0. Now I got to try to get it to work with Kismet. I think the conf file is correct. And I do get a JSON connect. But "GPS not connected". So I'll search a little more. But thank you for the effort. I am at least getting closer.
    If you're running the latest version of Kismet, there should be a line in the config to tell it that you're using a usb gps and which port it's on.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

God, I love this part

I did get a hint on another forum. DMESG with and without the GPS inserted and find the difference.
    I did. I don't quite know what I am searching for, so no chance for a grep. But I copied the text unto
    KWrite, side by side and found identical lines and deleted. After hm... 8 hours I ended up with these extra lines of text, extra in the dmesg with GPS inserted.
    Yes, you learn by the wasted hours doing things the hm.. "hashes" way. When you don't quite know what to search for, that's what you end up with. Anyway, I have eventually learned that the 8 hours could have been reduces to a few seconds with "dmesg | tail".

Just mentioning it, BackTrack is working fine with ALFA external network card and GPS. I have scanned the access points needed and this part of my project is finished. Now they have to be analyzed by Wireshark and then set up a testlab with Aircrack-ng towards my own router and the practical parts of my bachelor project is done.