Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help With UEFI Installation of BT5 KDE

Good friend of the forums

Default Re: Need help With UEFI Installation of BT5 KDE

I would give you my EFI folder which contains everything you need but the file is too large for the forum to accept. The zipped file size is 850K. I could try to email it to you.

You MUST change the /EFI/boot/grub.cfg to match your computer. You must use this exact path as most EFI system are hardcoded to accept this location only. Also your EFI partition MUST be a fat32 partition.

Good Luck.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned their ISO

Hi bofh28,

yeah, i've been crawling literally around the fourms and others from many community.

I think bruteforcing all the possible options for dual booting BT5R3 and Win7 x64, and all this UEFI/non-UEFI is really really...torturous ahaha..

Anyway, my issue after all the experimenting (poor HDD) boils down to quite a few interesting findings

UEFI
    Windows 7 standard installation
    BT5R3 can detect and install as per normal.
    Problem: EasyBCD not being able to edit Win Boot Loader properly to point to BT's boot loader.

non-UEFI
    Windows 7 standard installation
    Bt5R3 cannot detect my windows 7 partitions

2 interesting occurance
    1) At no time am i NOT able to boot Windows7, in whatever mode, it seems windows 7 has no problem booting.
    It is my BT that win boot loader can't locate with the "missing \NST\Autoneo........mbr" message.
    2) BT ALWAYS detects my HDD as having GPT signatures (whether it is UEFI or not)

There have been sooo many suggested solutions to this.
    Some say partition before installing windows
    I havnt tried this yet: Using GNU Parted.

According to UEFI's Wiki page, they suggested using GNU Parted to do the partitioning as fdisk cannot detect GPT tables.

I'm defintely in favour of partitioning my HDD before windows 7 installation and let my BT partitioning procedures deal with the remaining unallocated space.

However, can your method posted in your BT5R1 UEFI thread (http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=46801) be attempted for "pointing wateva loader to BT's installed boot loader.

There is no need for EasyBCD. I had the same problem on my computer. I could UEFI install Windows 7 and install BT5 per the instructions I wrote earlier, but my computer would always boot to windows 7. I could never get my computer to boot grub. windows 7 is the first hard drive, BT5 is the second hard drive in my computer. My bios will not let me choose the second hard as a UEFI boot source. If I use the one time boot menu (F9 on my system) I can get the system to boot from second hard drive and everything works. I found efibootmgr which allows a person to add, change, or delete UEFI boot options. I changed the boot order using efibootmgr and now when I turn on computer I get a grub menu and I select whichever OS I want.

Just burned their ISO

Oh, at least you can boot BT5 now with UEFI. Thats good.

So, what I should do is reinstall everything using UEFI, since BT5 can detect my WIn7 anyway.
    Then use efibootmgr to edit boot options?

Just curious, how you get/access efibootmgr?
    Is it from BT5's terminal or somewhere in bios? @_@ seems like a cmd tool =)

EDIT: Think u've seen me "lurking" around the forums lately haha.
    So for me now, UEFI install everything is ok. Windows can still boot as per normal (no EasyBCD usage yet)
    I use a single disk (laptop actually).

If i use EasyBCD, i just get the missing/corrupt file "\NST\AutoNeo...." error

You mentioned efibootmgr, wat exactly did you change in there?
    Last edited by TheOnion; 11-24-2012 at 05:43 AM.

apt-get update
    apt-get install efibootmgr

# efibootmgr
    this will show you the current boot order and list what it detects

# efibootmgr -o xxxx,yyyy,zzzz
    this will set the boot order to whatever order you want. You get the values from the above command.
    Last edited by bofh28; 11-24-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

If you want a piece of advice, If I were you, I would delete GPT partition and set up Bios to disable UEFI...Then repartiton my Hard Drive and Reinstall all OS...

Somehow I have the feeling that Windows world and Associates do not want Linux to survive...

Please refer to wikipedia and search UEFI and GPT..Read and get to know about these features..You cannot resolve or see the upcoming issues if you do not know about it...

Luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12