Thread: Asus EEE PC

Just burned his ISO

Default Asus EEE PC

hey everybody, i hope i posted this topic in the right place.

anyways ASUS is releasing a 7'' portable laptop and i was wondering if

A) it could run BackTrack 2 (900mHz cpu 512mb ram, but 7 inch screen could anything be done or if it will cause problems)

B) The EEE pc will probably use an Atheros AR5bxb63 wireless card. Will this be a good card for packet injection or even perhaps doing more sophisticated things with Backtrack ( im still a bit new to backtrack and i hope i can learn more with the EEE pc + BT2 )

what do you guys think?

Without you giving any good info all I can say is

Go to a retailer with a BT2 cd in hand and ask them if you can try it, there are many that will hoping to get a sale from it. Make sure that you tell them it is a linux live cd and makes no changes to the system. Never tell them what the distro is.
    Telling them it's linux is enough for them to tell themselves that they know nothing about it and know that they cannot answer you questions and will let you do it.

then post the results back here and the wiki

This is a good exercise in social engineering and good practice too.

Just burned his ISO

lol sorry i guess i sorta figured some of you guys would know about this little laptop. its not out yet and doesnt have a cd drive so i have to wait before it comes out to buy it.

the following is copied from umpcportal.com

Specificatons
    Manufacturer ASUS
    Model name eee pc 701
    Model id 701
    CPU type Pentium-M
    CPU speed 900 Mhz
    OS Various Options
    Display Size
    7" 800 X 480
    RAM 512 MB
    Flash 4000 MB
    Keyboard YES
    Mouse Pointer NO
    Weight 890 gm
    Size (w/h/d mm) 225/165/35 mm

Physical Interfaces

Wireless Interfaces
    802.11b/g
    No Wireless PAN (Bluetooth)
    No Wireless WAN (e.g. 3G cellular)

it already comes with a modified xandros built in. but hey im sure every body here would prefer backtrack to be on it instead right

and as for the network card is it any good? will it be good at trying to break into my own network or even analysing my network's security? i dont have any wireless computers but i do have a wireless routers for when family comes.

I'm sorry but how can anyone speculate on how compatible something that hasn't been released will be. Some of the information given by you is only probable hardware.

But looking at what you have posted nothing really springs to mind as going to be a problem.

I still don't see how other than testing one how any of us can give a meaningful opinion either way though.

Just burned his ISO

fair enough, but what about the Atheros chipset? will that be any good? has anybody had any experiences with that particular card?

Quote Originally Posted by syrian_gamer View Post
    fair enough, but what about the Atheros chipset? will that be any good? has anybody had any experiences with that particular card?
    I would say to look at the track record for atheros chipsets, and then see what you think.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

don't buy it.....

you will have a major pb......the screen resolution.....
    you will only have half height of screen visible.....

i see this pb yet on little screens , i think you need 1024x768 min
    i never see a walkaround for that......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Default asus ee pc 701?

yeah, i was looking forward to the eee pc as well, but the max resolution... 800x600, without some crazy modulization <--- (think i might have made that word up) it would be impractical to use. even if it did actually work, you would most likely have to scroll left, right, up and down constantly. best bet is to wait for the ASUS eee pc 1001, 1024x800, 10.1inch screen, harddrive space limitations are about the same as the 701 but it would be more practical to use on a daily basis for a comparable price (speculative MSRP is 299-499 range). also as far as i had heard both of these models were supposed to be "tricked" out in terms of wireless (bluetooth, irda, wifi) all coming stock on the base models, but like i said, that's only what i've heard.
    peace