Hello,

I have wanted to use Backtrack 5 for some time now, but am hindered by the fact that my BIOS is set to UEFI mode. Because of this, when I try booting Backtrack from my USB it deems the linux as illegitimate (black screen) and begins booting into my original operating system instead, Win7 64 bit.

So, I enter my BIOS settings and change my boot mode to Legacy boot instead. Now I am able to boot into Backtrack 5! Next, I select Backtrack 5 text mode. Soon thereafter I am greeted with the following error (in addition to my screen getting glitched up):

IMG_0020.jpg

This seems to have something to do with my graphics card. I am using a hybrid graphics setup. Here are my relevant system specs:

System Model: Alienware X51
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 GDDR5 (OEM)
BIOS_Manufacturer: Alienware

I can get past the screen glitch/error by entering, "nomodeset," before selecting my Backtrack mode. Regardless, I am at a loss for what I can do to fix this error.

Finally, even if I ignore the error that I get, the entire point of booting into BT5 Live USB was to install BT5 alongside my Windows partition in the first place! Unfortunately, since I changed my BIOS boot mode to Legacy instead of the UEFI mode Windows is currently installed in, Backtrack cannot safely partition room for its installation because of the two different partition layouts:

As a result, my two questions are this:

1.) How can I get rid of the graphical error presented to me while booting Backtrack 5 Text mode?
2.) How can I install Backtrack 5 KDE alongside a UEFI Windows 7 64 bit installation?

Luckily enough, fortune hasn't been all terrible for me. I was able to connect to my home network when I ran the BT Live USB, which means I will have no network problems whatsoever.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I regard myself as an, "extreme noob," when it comes to linux. It would be nice if when helping me, thoroughly explain how to perform even the most basic of steps.