Thread: Dual-boot install, can't change location of boot loader

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual-boot install, can't change location of boot loader

I'm doing a dual-boot install with Windows 7 and following this guide:
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/03/22...de-each-other/

I get to the part where BT says "Ready to Install", then I click the "Advanced" button. Here I want to change the location of the boot loader, because I don't want to overwrite the Windows boot loader. So instead of /dev/sda, I want to change it to /dev/sda5, the Linux root partition. This should be a valid choice, since it's listed in the drop down menu. However, whenever I select that choice, the "OK" button gets greyed out and I can't continue. It will allow me to select any of the other partitions except the one I need, /dev/sda5.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I really would rather not have BT overwrite my windows boot loader. I want to use the Windows boot menu and make an entry pointing to BT, as that guide shows.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Dual-boot install, can't change location of boot loader

Quote Originally Posted by weesol View Post

I get to the part where BT says "Ready to Install", then I click the "Advanced" button. Here I want to change the location of the boot loader, because I don't want to overwrite the Windows boot loader. So instead of /dev/sda, I want to change it to /dev/sda5, the Linux root partition. This should be a valid choice, since it's listed in the drop down menu. However, whenever I select that choice, the "OK" button gets greyed out and I can't continue. It will allow me to select any of the other partitions except the one I need, /dev/sda5.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I really would rather not have BT overwrite my windows boot loader. I want to use the Windows boot menu and make an entry pointing to BT, as that guide shows.
    Hi man!
    I've had similar problem - wanted to use XP loader to boot both Win and BT systems. Had no luck trying to use backtrack partition for installing bootloader, too..
    The solvation is - try to use on of non-linux parts for that! I have chosen the one without any OS on it (which I use as music / movies storage), and copied 512B of it in a common way afterwards - it worked!
    I see you had asked a long time ago, but maybe it helps to someone else...

Just burned their ISO

Hi man!
    I have had similar problem - wanted but could not use XP loader to boot both BT and Win systems. I had no luck trying to use /dev/sda5 (my BT parttion) for installing linux-loader.
    But I have found the solvation - have chosen another partition, the one which I use as storage for films / music, created long time ago under XP. Afterwards, made 512B copying to C: in a common way, - all worked!
    So try to choose one of Win partition instead of the one with Ext* fs.
    I see you had asked long time ago, but maybe it helps to someone else.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

With all due respect, I can't belive what I'm reading!!!!..Installing the Grub in a Partition?..Did you really do that?...You will end up with lots of problems..

Grub will always have to be installed in MBR..Read wikipedia, Debian wiki, Ubuntu wiki, all linux wikis..

Do not get me wrong, I'm not trying to be rude, but this is so basic, MBR, the first 512K of HDD, period...Grub2 or grub, or winbugs bootloader or any OS loader (bootstrap) has to be in the MBR, period.

Please, read before do anything that you are not familiar with or something you have not work with...It is a "concept" mistake...and a huge one..

Well, if you do not want your Winbug 7 bootloader to be touched, use a USB installation, a VM or DVD live...

You have a second option, in advanced button, do not check "write to mbr"..Then search google for some software that can handle linux partitions and when you boot from it, it will show you all OS...This has to be windows based app...

One question, why do you avoid the grub2?...Just a question....

Luck.
    Last edited by maverik35; 12-08-2012 at 11:59 AM.