Thread: Cannot Obtain IP or Bad password Message from wicd: dmesg = no ipv6 routers present

Just burned his ISO

Angry Cannot Obtain IP or Bad password Message from wicd: dmesg = no ipv6 routers present

I have installed and configured Backtrack 5 R2 on my HP (SB) 630 Laptop. For the most part everything is working; from the touchpad, quick buttons, all the way to the webcam. But I am having an issue with my wifi. (And please forgive me I am not a Linux expert)

Issue:
    I can only join certain networks. For example I can join network at the office just fine, or at any of the local hospitals that we service. But I cannot join most home networks or the hotspot on my phone. (My assumption is that on the corporate networks I get an IPv6 address and off the phone or at home I do not, however this may not be relevant to the problem) I get one of two issues.

1: WICD says that I failed to obtain an IP address from the network. I confirmed dhclient was fine (to the best of my ability). I can STILL join my corporate network and all works well. When I open then terminal and run dmesg I get an output stating that there were no IPv6 routers present.

2: WICD says bad password even when I know it is correct. dmesg gives similar errors about the IPv6 router.

I have updated the wireless drives from the Linux Wireless site and still no luck. Perhaps I did it wrong?

Any thoughts?

--Warm Regards,
    Nathan

Default Re: Cannot Obtain IP or Bad password Message from wicd: dmesg = no ipv6 routers prese

Outside the box!!!!

THINK IT

Try installing network manager.... Search around, im sure youll find a tutorial

Better yet, before posting, try to SEARCH FOR THREADS that are the same as what u just posted
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Cannot Obtain IP or Bad password Message from wicd: dmesg = no ipv6 routers prese

Outside the box? If this is your offering of help I will pass...

Please let it be known that this post did not come to fruition out of laziness; rather out of desperation. I have sunk no less than half a work week into this issue, and being the stubborn person that I am, I will continue to work on this issue. I HAVE searched all of the BT forums as well a browsed around Google for a few hours. I have found many related issues and tried many of the offered fixes. Subsequently nothing worked, hence the post.

In response to your one potentially useful piece of advice, I did install network manager about a week ago: didnít change a thing.

This issue is a "hairy" one. Although I am no Linux expert I am well beyond the use of tutorials, at least in this situation.

While it isnít my job to pentest 40 hours a week, I am a professional seeking professional help. I donít need a scriptkiddie, who took time out of his/her actual day, to post something so silly. I could very easily allocate company funds and hire a consultant, but never would I have figured the community would fall on its face this hard.

Warm Regards,
    Nathan

Just burned his ISO

***Update***

I have continued to work on this issue in spite of really having nowhere to turn. I have tried an additional half a dozen detailed fixes since my last post and my efforts have been met with little success.

Any thoughts from the community? (I have viewed all the other threads, if it is included in a related / past tread, donít bother mentioning it.)

Warm Regards,
    Nathan

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by monroenathan View Post
    ***Update***

I have continued to work on this issue in spite of really having nowhere to turn. I have tried an additional half a dozen detailed fixes since my last post and my efforts have been met with little success.

Any thoughts from the community? (I have viewed all the other threads, if it is included in a related / past tread, donít bother mentioning it.)

Warm Regards,
    Nathan
    Did you ever find a fix? I've done complete unintall/reinstalls of wicd. What's odd is that this is happening on both of my VMs that are on difference machines. I've tried connection to other networks in the area (that I have good keys for) and am getting the same message for those as well.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mattsvensson View Post
    Did you ever find a fix? I've done complete unintall/reinstalls of wicd. What's odd is that this is happening on both of my VMs that are on difference machines. I've tried connection to other networks in the area (that I have good keys for) and am getting the same message for those as well.
    No, unfortunately I have not found a resolution nor have I received any assistance other than what can be viewed above. This issue, since support has fallen dormant, has been moved to the back burner. I am eagerly awaiting some further thoughts from the community so that I may try them.

If you have any more ideas please let me know. Again, I could easily get a consultant, however in the past I have found that Red Hat, Fedora, Etc. forums usually turn up the answer. I am hoping this case is just the exception.

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation Re: Cannot Obtain IP or Bad password Message from wicd: dmesg = no ipv6 routers prese

i just installed bt5 r3 kde and i get the same Bad password message also when im trying to tether from my android, it work on everything except bt5 i hope someone out there has a solution.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

If you are using ipv6 protocols, you must say so to the dhclient..By default dhclient uses ipv4 protocol to get the ip.

Try using =======> dhclient -4 "your interface" will force dhclient to use ipv4 protocol.
    dhclient -6 "your interface" will force dhclient to use ipv6 protocol.

"No ipv6 routers" tells me that dhclient is using ipv6 and since it does not find a dhcp server with ipv6 protocol, it shows that message..

Try with -4 and see what happens.

Luck.