Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: viewing directories

Default viewing directories

ive been looking for a program that will show the directories on a site instead of the html file, kind of like what you get when you open a directory without an index.html and the apache list comes up. i have no idea what these are called and tried a few times to search google but i never came up with anything. it seems like it would be a simple enough program....any help/points in the right direction is appreciated. thanks

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    ive been looking for a program that will show the directories on a site instead of the html file, kind of like what you get when you open a directory without an index.html and the apache list comes up. i have no idea what these are called and tried a few times to search google but i never came up with anything. it seems like it would be a simple enough program....any help/points in the right direction is appreciated. thanks
    That's generally able to be done when someone setting up the webserver turns on Directory Browsing by mistake. I don't know of any external program that will do that, as they would have to be able to 'browse' the directory structure, which should be turned off in most cases.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That's generally able to be done when someone setting up the webserver turns on Directory Browsing by mistake. I don't know of any external program that will do that, as they would have to be able to 'browse' the directory structure, which should be turned off in most cases.
    Agreed 100%
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

ok, thanks. im in need of a way to find directories on a web server. how would this be done?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ats1080 View Post
    ok, thanks. im in need of a way to find directories on a web server. how would this be done?
    Log onto the console of the webserver and browse through with whatever file browsing tool is installed.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

As stated, unless Directory Browsing is turned on the root directory, and ALL subdirectories, you won't be able to get a complete directory listing. One way that you might be able to get some of the directory listing would be to use a tool such as wikto, which can brute force and extrapolate directories from html pages. (Assuming you are doing this remotely, and not locally on the target machine itself)

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

isn't it illegal ? we do not support this kind of actions here
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Try the SiteExplorer in FlashGet

Quote Originally Posted by Atarii View Post
    Try the SiteExplorer in FlashGet
    thanks, ill give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    isn't it illegal ? we do not support this kind of actions here
    How would retreiving a list of directories and directoy contents from a web server be illegal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast