Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need?

Hello,
    I plan on installing BackTrack 5 R2 on my hard drive, beside Windows 7 and another Linux distro. I plan on using Backtrack only ocassionally, and so want to create for it a partition size that is as small as I can make it and still have it run as smoothly as if it had unlimited hard-drive space.
    How big of a partition should I create for BackTrack 5 R2? We don't plan on installing any other packages in BackTrack. Thank you.

Good friend of the forums zimmaro's Avatar

Default Re: How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need?

Quote Originally Posted by auscult View Post
    Hello,
    I plan on installing BackTrack 5 R2 on my hard drive, beside Windows 7 and another Linux distro. I plan on using Backtrack only ocassionally, and so want to create for it a partition size that is as small as I can make it and still have it run as smoothly as if it had unlimited hard-drive space.
    How big of a partition should I create for BackTrack 5 R2? We don't plan on installing any other packages in BackTrack. Thank you.
    Hi
    I think: for to have a little free-space (other test-toolsH,some package & ecc)
    Bt5-r2-HDD=>>22gb(my-little-opinion)
    Bye

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Well, if Ubuntu 10.04 (BT5 is based on Ubuntu) requires an aproximate minimum of 5Gb + your space for saving your stuff.. Keep this in mind..I have a 12Gb partition for BT5 r2, and about 6Gb for my home, since I use BT5 to exclusivley for Auditting, not as my personal OS to work with in a "daily basis". I use Wheeze as my OS.

So in my personal opinion, 5Gb minimum for the system and per say 10 gb for home = 15gb...You should be all set. Unless you want to install the openoffice, vlc, Compiz, etc, then you should take that in mind and add a little more gigs..Also you can use an external device such as USB, external HDD as support to keep personal info.

It is your call..How much space you have available and how much space you try to use for saving.

Luck.

In my experience BT5 V2 64Bit Gnome took around 15GB HDD install. And my BT partition is 32GB.

I would agree that 15GB is a good minimum to use. On my system, I have BT 5r2 x64, however I have also installed several 3rd party things as well as some extras to play around with. I feel I am pretty set with what I have, and I am using 35GBs Total. About 10 of those GBs are media and backup related though.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks everyone. I read somewhere on this site that BackTrack staff believe 8GB is the minimum.

Just burned their ISO

I have used backtrack5 during over 1 year in the harddisk installing environment. I suggest the harddisk space about 50Gb. Because you need to update the utils day by day, and install new programs such as nexpose, libreoffice, vlc, and etc. If you have small harddisk space. you will regret.

that's true.. that's why I have not yet installed nexpose.. will do soon..yes bigger the better..

Just burned his ISO

How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need? We don't plan on installing any other packages in BackTrack
    no updates, no dict files ,no added tools of your preferences come on your only fooling yourself

and on that note ill finish with

Q:How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need?
    Q:How long is a piece of string ?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by r083rt View Post
    no updates, no dict files ,no added tools of your preferences come on your only fooling yourself

and on that note ill finish with

Q:How much hard-drive space does Backtrack 5 R2 need?
    Q:How long is a piece of string ?

Wow someone asks a perfectly reasonable question about required disk space and you choose to answer in an ignorant and totally unhelpful way. Wow you are really helpful. If you can't help, here's an idea, Don't reply instead of being derisive and ignorant.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast