Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: penetration tester's open source toolkit

Just burned his ISO

Not to revive a discussion from the beginning of this thread, but I wanted to put my two cents out there on the subject of lists and buying "hacking materials" via credit or debit card. Basically, if you are doing bad things with your skills, and you frequent any sort of website that the NSA etc. monitors, then they probably already know about you. If you don't buy a book with a credit card, then you get too comfy in a forum and release sensitive info on yourself and it comes back to bite you. Either way, they'll know about you (that is, if you are involved in illegal activity). The point is, don't waste your time being paranoid, just be as safe as you can and hope that nothing bad happens to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
    Not to revive a discussion from the beginning of this thread, but I wanted to put my two cents out there on the subject of lists and buying "hacking materials" via credit or debit card. Basically, if you are doing bad things with your skills, and you frequent any sort of website that the NSA etc. monitors, then they probably already know about you. If you don't buy a book with a credit card, then you get too comfy in a forum and release sensitive info on yourself and it comes back to bite you. Either way, they'll know about you (that is, if you are involved in illegal activity). The point is, don't waste your time being paranoid, just be as safe as you can and hope that nothing bad happens to you.
    Also if you are paying via Cash make sure you cover you tracks when you leave your safe-house wearing a fat suit, mask and gloves, and avoid all CCTV cameras on the way {which is hardest on the UK due to the amount of them, also to do talk because they are recording that as well} but if you are seem make sure you "Bunny-Hop" so that can't track you via were build and walk and never use a pre-paid system for anything including transport.

If you need extra cash to buy for the +50€ book use a pawn shop and not a ATM, also give you need to eat or drink anything when out make sure to full destroy any left-overs and wrappers.

The best is to have someone buy the book for you, who is a friend of a friend's friend and doesn't know you at all.

But since we don't buy this book or are around this forum to do something illegal, you can just use your CC.

Don't tell me that you had something else in your mind.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
    In terms of buying this book, and being "watched" by some government agency, I wouldn't worry about that...trust me on this one.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    In terms of buying this book, and being "watched" by some government agency, I wouldn't worry about that...trust me on this one.
    Hi new to the site and glad to see some sense. Got a bit worried when I read people getting flamed for buying on credit cards... erm well I keep things ethical and the right side of the law so why am I fussed? (so yes I do by on credit card) especially since sept 11th the men in black types have installed boxes of tricks to keep track already.

talking of good books I got onto this site due to Penetration testers open source toolkit vol 2 enjoying it so far. Also read grey hat hacking quite good. Like Michael Gregg books CEH & CISSP plus shon harris CISSP good stuff. Risk management for computer security is a good intro by Andy Jones and of course my fav Bruce Schneier Beyond fear & secrets and lies plus Roger A Grimes always produces good stuff. Oh and of course reformed black hat Kevin's social stuff is fun to read and helpful when writting policy ha!

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

well I'm looking to sit the course soon for backtrack anyone done the course?

Hey I was in Borders last night and saw this book. I thought I would check out what everyone else had to say about it before I bought it. It seems to be the book follows the syllabus for offsec 101 pretty close. Any thoughts?
    There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.

-I already know I cant spel-

Quote Originally Posted by cyberconsole View Post
    Hey I was in Borders last night and saw this book. I thought I would check out what everyone else had to say about it before I bought it. It seems to be the book follows the syllabus for offsec 101 pretty close. Any thoughts?
    The book is not designed around the syllabus, but I'm sure there are some significant overlaps. Volume 1 was a guide to Auditor, while Volume 2 is a guide to BT2 with some new additions.

I picked volume 2 up and it is great so far. Thanks for the recommendation.
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    The book is not designed around the syllabus, but I'm sure there are some significant overlaps. Volume 1 was a guide to Auditor, while Volume 2 is a guide to BT2 with some new additions.
    Does that mean that there is a volume 3 in the works for BT3? One can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna View Post
    Does that mean that there is a volume 3 in the works for BT3? One can only hope.
    It's always a possibility, but there is nothing official yet that I know about. They have me working on a different project right now.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011