Thread: Edimax EW-7318USG - Too good to be true?

Default Edimax EW-7318USG - Too good to be true?

I am thinking of getting this USB Dongle

EW-7318USG

The price is nice and i like the detachable antenna [ it starts as a 4dbi ]

The thing is i have researched its chipset and its a RALINK which according to the linux compatiblity list it is green - but only cards i am used to is Atheros [after following advice from -=[X-ploitz]=- and other members]

Is the Ralink drivers allowing injection? Does this particular model work well in BackTrack?

Any one who has any experiance with this device their feedback is greatly appreciated as the with the low price i am worried that this could be a case of "too good to be true"

Thanks in advance

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Yes, its good and does everything. Requires some tweaking which ShamanVirtual has some threads on. I have...

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/527...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Almost exact same thing as edimax. The only difference is that the Hawking can be found in just about every retail store. I use it with my cantenna to hack my wep from across the house. I'd still rather get an Alfa though.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Guess im gonna have to track down these threads - thanks for the speedy response.

Good friend of the forums

I liked mine so much I bought a second. You can get the latest driver from http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/
    This is the driver that used in BT3. If you are going to compile your own kernel (I have to) some good news is that a driver is going to be included in the mainline kernel when 2.6.24 is released so you don't have to download one. The bad news, if you can call it that, is this driver is from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/...itle=Main_Page and I have not been able to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by mummysboy View Post
    I am thinking of getting this USB Dongle

EW-7318USG

The price is nice and i like the detachable antenna [ it starts as a 4dbi ]

The thing is i have researched its chipset and its a RALINK which according to the linux compatiblity list it is green - but only cards i am used to is Atheros [after following advice from -=[X-ploitz]=- and other members]

Is the Ralink drivers allowing injection? Does this particular model work well in BackTrack?

Any one who has any experiance with this device their feedback is greatly appreciated as the with the low price i am worried that this could be a case of "too good to be true"

Thanks in advance
    I am using this exact Wifi card and its REALLY good. I ordered an Alfa previously...it arrived broken. The company I bought it off sent me the Edimax as a replacement and it works fantastic.

...Although personally my 1mile YAGI [19dBi] external antenna doesnt seem to be reaching the full mile in open land [tested on beech and a field]. I think its only 300Mhz; for distance compared to the previous card I used 'ZyDAS' zd1211rw[?..cant remember] its pathetic. The ZyDAS range was excellent.

Also for this Edimax card, if you use NetStumbler the AP's do not show their SSIDs, they appear as MAC addresses only with a funny looking icon and they do not show green/yello/amber/red icons with the padlock icon for secured and blank for unsecured.

Another thing is, within NetStumbler the APs are all grouped together as if they are from the same manufacturer. Personally I only use NetStumbler if I am wardriving and making surveys with my GPS, the pretty chart is cool...but airodump-ng is the best for 'non-surveillance' projects...The last time I used Kismet was in BT2b.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    I am using this exact Wifi card and its REALLY good. I ordered an Alfa previously...it arrived broken. The company I bought it off sent me the Edimax as a replacement and it works fantastic.

...Although personally my 1mile YAGI [19dBi] external antenna doesnt seem to be reaching the full mile in open land [tested on beech and a field]. I think its only 300Mhz; for distance compared to the previous card I used 'ZyDAS' zd1211rw[?..cant remember] its pathetic. The ZyDAS range was excellent.

Also for this Edimax card, if you use NetStumbler the AP's do not show their SSIDs, they appear as MAC addresses only with a funny looking icon and they do not show green/yello/amber/red icons with the padlock icon for secured and blank for unsecured.

Another thing is, within NetStumbler the APs are all grouped together as if they are from the same manufacturer. Personally I only use NetStumbler if I am wardriving and making surveys with my GPS, the pretty chart is cool...but airodump-ng is the best for 'non-surveillance' projects...The last time I used Kismet was in BT2b.
    OH MAN! I was wondering about that! I wasn't sure what was going on as none of the wifi networks had NAMES. That makes it hard for netstumbling. However, Kismet and Airodump-ng work fine. I need to get a better antenna than the "cantenna" though.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

So i guess as a budget solution i cant go wrong - Cheers guys Thanks for all your input

I have been unable to get mine to connect to the internet

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    OH MAN! I was wondering about that! I wasn't sure what was going on as none of the wifi networks had NAMES. That makes it hard for netstumbling. However, Kismet and Airodump-ng work fine. I need to get a better antenna than the "cantenna" though.
    Thanks for verifying that Im not the only one having this problem. There is no fix for it apparently. Its not that important but you know yourself its rather annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by pentest2008 View Post
    I have been unable to get mine to connect to the internet
    Has it worked at all? Maybe it was broken during transit? That happen to me with my Alfa.