Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Create your own custom usb/livecd from bt2 with kernel 2.6.22.2

Default Create your own custom usb/livecd from bt2 with kernel 2.6.22.2

UPDATED to kernel 2.6.22.2 -howto

################################
    #Don´t do this unless you need a new kernel! #
    ################################

To begin, you need a working hd install, if you don't yet have, search for "gopher" or look in the Wiki for alternatives.

About this howto:
    This is quite long, I tried explaining what needs to be done, and the post should be newbie-friendly.

1. Backup everything important

I´ve had a lot of problems while learning to work with kernel recompiling (newbie of course). The worst-case-scenario could be a re-install to hd, but usually copying a working vmlinuz to /boot/ is enough to recover and continue trying. I´m really interested getting feedback how this howto works for others.

2. Download and install necessary files

I'd like state here, that none of the scripts are my work (All credits go to Tomas M and "vstoykov"), I merely figured out, how to use them and how to make the .iso smaller (and some bugs or problems).

Let's get started!
    Make a directory for all required files
    Code:
    cd /
    mkdir livecd
    The name can be anything and be in anywhere, but I use /livecd/ so that I can find it easily and the files don't accidentally get to .iso or live-usb-install.

2.1 Kernel-build-scripts (Author Tomas M, modified by "vstoykov")

Download the modified kernel 2.6.22.2 build script from
    http://vslivecd.openfmi.net/slp/kern...AST_v11.tar.gz

to
    /livecd/
    and unpack it with
    Code:
    tar zxvf Build_kernel_for_VAST_v11.tar.gz
    That should create a directory called "new", although you can rename it if you like to more appropriate name.

Remove the linux-2.6.22.2.tar.bz2 symlink from
    /livecd/new/
    with
    Code:
    rm linux-2.6.22.2.tar.bz2
    So that you can replace it with the real kernel package.

2.2 Download kernel 2.6.22.2

from
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...6.22.2.tar.bz2

and place it in
    /livecd/new/

2.3 Download Linux-live-scripts (Author Tomas M)

from
    ftp://ftp.slax.org/Linux-Live/linux-live-6.1.0.tar.gz
    and unpack it in
    /livecd/
    with
    Code:
    tar zxvf linux-live-6.1.0.tar.gz
    Note: There are newer versions (currently 6.1.4 is latest), but 6.1.4 has some poweroff-issues, and I don't advice using it, besides it doesn't add anything compared to 6.1.0..

3. Prepare to install kernel

at /usr/src/
    and remove everything
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/
    rm -r *
    Note: Please check that you're in the right place..

Yes, this will remove alsa and ipw3945 drivers to mention, but alsa can be compiled in kernel and ipw3945 is easy to get later if you need it, or you can move the /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0/ directory to a "safe location", which could be /tmp/ for now.
    (if you're already running a modified kernel, you can use your .config as a base to build the new one, but it's safer to use the default one and later tweak it if you like).

4. Install the new kernel

at /livecd/new
    modify config with
    Code:
    kwrite /livecd/new/config
    and edit line
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
    to say
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m

and you can also choose a appropriate cpu option in config
    For instance, a Centrino Duo requires following (google for appropriate cpu settings for you)
    comment out
    CONFIG_M586=y
    and change
    # CONFIG_MPENTIUMM is not set
    to
    CONFIG_MPENTIUMM=y

When happy with config, proceed with building the new kernel (in /livecd/new/)
    Code:
    build.kernel
    The script may still ask you to enter your cpu-type and gives a list of choices.

When completed (~30min), install new kernel
    at /tmp/linux-2.6.22.2/
    Code:
    installpkg linux-2.6.22.2-i686-4.tgz
    (the name might alter a little, but you'll manage!)

and REBOOT.
    Note: I'm using Grub, if using lilo, you might have to run it again, if the install script doesn't. I'm really not sure.
    After rebooting, if you receive some errors about module dependencies, commence
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    depmod -e -F System.map
    and REBOOT again

5. Prepare to compress image

Add/remove/update the tools of your choice

6. .iso size tweaking

We can safely remove some of the stuff that would be otherwise take space from .iso (especially if you're trying to compile a 700MB cd)
    at /usr/src/
    remove all files and directories but linux symlink and linux-2.6.22.2
    at /lib/modules
    remove 2.6.20-xxx dir
    at /usr/src/linux/
    Code:
    make clean
    Note: If extra space is really needed, or you wish to modify further the kernel settings without difficult text-editor in step 4. ,recompile kernel and create a smaller kernel and modules-directory by hand-picking all kernel components (with a little trouble easily down to ~650modules or less which means ~25MB less uncompressed size). Then build again as suggested in step 3. "modified kernel" by copying .config from /usr/src/linux to /livecd/new/ and rename it to config (And do all the other steps again)

7. Compress Image

at /livecd/linux-live-6.1.0/
    modify .config by
    Code:
    kwrite /livecd/linux-live-6.1.0/.config
    change the line
    MKMOD="bin etc home lib lib64 opt root usr sbin srv var"
    to
    MKMOD="bin etc home lib lib64 opt pentest root usr sbin srv var"

then run
    Code:
    build
    give LiveCD name when prompted, enter
    Code:
    linuxcd
    The name is very important, otherwise at bootup the live data can't be found. Default path to kernel is ok. The process takes about 30minutes to complete.

7. Install to CD/USB

7.1To make a CD:

at /tmp/live_data_xxxx/BT/
    Code:
    build_iso.sh
    and burn the .iso slowly (some say at 2x-4x)

7.2To make a bootable USB (recommended):Copy linuxcd and boot directories from /tmp/live_data_xxxx/ to your sticks root and then run
    at /sticks-root/boot/
    Code:
    bootinst.sh
    the stick is now bootable.

8. What I added/updated

sqlite.3.4.0-module (By Balding_Parrot, BT Wiki)
    ruby-gtk2-0.16.0 module
    ruby-libglade2-0.16.0 module
    medusa v1.3
    Aircrack-ng 1.0 dev 664
    Ati-proprietary-drivers 8.40.x from www.ati.com
    updated framework3 and milw0rm
    madwifi-ng drivers
    some firefox extensions (fasterfox, fireftp, firefox, downthemall, ablock plus)
    some my native language dictionaries
    and
    Code:
    passwd
    The passwd command changes the root password, which is quite nice.. Choose a strong password.

My actual .iso size was 695MB (plenty of space remaining), but if you update a lot of things, space may be a problem, if you insist on building a liveCD..

EXTRA: IPW3945 INSTALL

The ipw3945 requires (sometimes) the rf kill switch support, you can easily add that to kernel config in step 4. by modifiying config in /livecd/new/ with
    "kwrite /livecd/new/config"

and change the line

# CONFIG_RFKILL is not set

to

CONFIG_RFKILL=y
    CONFIG_RFKILL_INPUT=y

Then you need to get the new drivers
    download http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ipw3945/ipw3945-1.2.2.tgz?download
    to /tmp/
    unpack it with
    Code:
    tar xvf ipw3945-1.2.2.tgz
    and build&install it with
    Code:
    cd /tmp/ipw3945-1.2.2/
    make && make install
    and you should be fine. (For monitor mode to work, you need to modify the Makefile)
    Note: IF you receive ieee80211 errors while building the driver, you need to get ieee80211 driver, the version 1.2.18 works with new kernel if I recall correctly.
    Please don't bother downloading any other stuff for ipw3945 (like firmware), as everything is ready in Backtrack and it should work as it is.

TO ALL READERS:
    I will update and modify this post if it's needed (etc more specific instructions), so please give me a holler if something works or doesn't (post or pm, anything goes). Whereas creating "own" modified livecd/usb perhaps isn't really needed for most of the people, there are some who might find this useful, for kernel 2.6.22.2 has better hardware support (including rf kill switch, my ipw3945 works perfectly with it now) and possibly something else (those who need it, probably now because something doesn't work before).
    Another reason for me was my Centrino Duo cpu, which showed only one core and I wanted more..

BUT if nothing more, atleast this thread answers the post "How do i change livecd password"

Hope you like,
    "Whoawhoawewa!" (Borat)

Developer

Not for me but great to see afirst time poster giving a tutorial

Yes, surely not a very popular subject, but I found it quite annoying to have only one core available. Couldn't imagine any other reason to recompile current kernel (almost everything is compiled already as modules).

Could someone explain, why "dbt" cheat code doesn't work (atleast for me), that would render this "horribly complicated method" useless?

please ignore next message, because I've changed the first thread and the typos no longer apply
    ExitOnly@

-----------------------------------------------------
    Learn to live, but live to learn, eh?

Thumbs up

Good tutorial, I'm now in the middle of building my new modified usb install!
    One tiny typo:

Code:
    patch -p1 <  usr/src/squashfs3.2-r2/kernel-patches/linux-2.6.20/squashfs3.2-patch
    should be:

Code:
    patch -p1 <  /usr/src/squashfs3.2-r2/kernel-patches/linux-2.6.20/squashfs3.2-patch
    Only a small one, just being picky I know!
    Also these two directories were already built for me:

Code:
    mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.20-BT-PwnSauce-NOSMP/kernel/fs/aufs
    mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.20-BT-PwnSauce-NOSMP/kernel/fs/squashfs
    Great tutorial though, have been looking for something like this for a while!

Default nice work,

Thanks for posting this guide. We do appreciate it.

-free
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Great work, I told you people would like it when you PM'd me asking if you should post it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Awesome! great job!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO lock_n_loll's Avatar

Yeah Thanks alot for your guides
    I'm trying to re-compile my kernel now
    thanks alot
    Damn Am I Late ?
    Mitsubishi AMITY XP P166 MMX 32M HD 6 GB Linksys WPC11 v4 FreeBSD 7.0 + BT2

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

BT3 will support smp/nosmp ..... so if you want something stable.....just wait.....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    BT3 will support smp/nosmp ..... so if you want something stable.....just wait.....
    Kernel 2.6.22.2 Is stable (I think). Yes, I admit, that this procedure is made from bits and bots, but it works (poweroff excluded) The ipw3945 is not such a loss, and I think it´s a problem to be solved (the poweroff-bug will be solved also, I´m not alone with that one). For those, who want something ready and specificly for bt2, should wait. If one wants to experiment and needs new kernel (hardware support problems?) or a normal live-usb-with-changes (not bad either) isn´t enough, then this could be worth trying. Don´t get me wrong shamanvirtuel, I totally respect your view and especially much longer experience...

p.s.
    Wasn´t bt2 supposed to support smp too? (doesn´t work for me)

FIXED: ipw3945 AND poweroff
    ExitOnly@

-----------------------------------------------------
    Learn to live, but live to learn, eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast