Thread: Help : Installation error

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Help : Installation error

hello,

i downloaded Backtrack 5 R2 (32bit both GNOME and KDE) here in the website and in the last part of installation which is the step7 an error occurred ... i installed it on my laptop an di bought new dvd-rw to burn the iso. i read some solutions on the same error that i encountered but it doesnt help ... i already tried in usb same problem ... an error occurred ...

note: i am trying to make a dual boot .. windows 7 has been installed first in the past i partner it with Xp.. i decided to remove XP and replace backtrack 2 R2

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12848...ard-disk-12-04

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement,

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Help : Installation error

Quote Originally Posted by grafix View Post
    hello,

i downloaded Backtrack 5 R2 (32bit both GNOME and KDE) here in the website and in the last part of installation which is the step7 an error occurred ... i installed it on my laptop an di bought new dvd-rw to burn the iso. i read some solutions on the same error that i encountered but it doesnt help ... i already tried in usb same problem ... an error occurred ...

note: i am trying to make a dual boot .. windows 7 has been installed first in the past i partner it with Xp.. i decided to remove XP and replace backtrack 2 R2

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12848...ard-disk-12-04

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement,
    exactly i also got the same error..............
    anybody here to help us???

Quote Originally Posted by grafix View Post
    When you burnt to disk did you verify the written data? Try burning again at a slower speed, I got a coaster with the first one I did.

Alternatively (going purely from the error message), try running something like spinrite or gparted on the HDD to check for problems there too.

~S

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Do as sannuk said, burn dvd at the slower speed possible...Then when installing BT or any Linux disto, you need the partition where BT5 is to be installed, to have the proper Filesystem...If you removed XP, you should have deleted the partition.
    sda1---Win7---100gb
    sda2---XP-------100gb

Then erase XP partition
    sda1---win7----100gb
    Free---100gb

Create a new partition with ext4 filesystem (sda2 for BT5) and a second partition (swap):
    sda2----BT5----98gb
    swap---swap----2gb

You can also create a new partition as Extended = 100gb, and whithin it, you can create as much partitions as you want for different linux distros. The partitions inside will start from sda5. In that case:
    sda5----BT5-----40Gb
    swap----swap----2gb

You have 58Gb left to partition it as you wish, even to create a small partition (20gb per say) to use as personal data backup
    sda5----BT5-----40Gb
    sda6----ext4-----20gb
    swap----swap----2gb

Hope it helps..

Luck..

If noobie to linux, just create the partiton as primary (sda2)..

Then reboot and install BT5...