Thread: Reaver takes forever

Just burned his ISO

Default Reaver takes forever

I have everything running fine, and it's doing like 5 seconds a pin, but it'll run smoothly for a few minutes, then hit a timeout error, then retry the same pin...so I put in a movie and checked when it was over: it took over 2 hours to get to 15%. Is that normal? I only have the one computer, so I couldn't keep it running. I might borrow someone's laptop, though...

Default Re: Reaver takes forever

Yes, some audits I've done with reaver have taken over 8 hours. Some have taken an hour. Your mileage may vary.

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

it also depends how easy/hard the wpa(2) passphrase is as well...but the best thing about reaver is that you can stop it turn computer off and come back and resume where you left off with that bssid+essid. 8-)

here are some commands that might help speed things up and go a little smoother for you..

reaver -i mon0 -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX-v -S -L -d 5 -t 10 -x 10 -l 120 -c XX
    (might want to play around with -d -t -x) this is my setup and when i normaly get stuck at 1 pin, it usually kicks its self out, every couple hours i might have to stop it and change mac then resume..

I also found out that, if you change your mac address and resume it, it will go to the next pin and won't be stuck any more.. so you might have to check it from time to time.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

better using the Wifite + Reaver
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate
    Last edited by longjidin; 05-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Eatme View Post
    it also depends how easy/hard the wpa(2) passphrase is as well...but the best thing about reaver is that you can stop it turn computer off and come back and resume where you left off with that bssid+essid. 8-)

here are some commands that might help speed things up and go a little smoother for you..

reaver -i mon0 -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX-v -S -L -d 5 -t 10 -x 10 -l 120 -c XX
    (might want to play around with -d -t -x) this is my setup and when i normaly get stuck at 1 pin, it usually kicks its self out, every couple hours i might have to stop it and change mac then resume..

I also found out that, if you change your mac address and resume it, it will go to the next pin and won't be stuck any more.. so you might have to check it from time to time.
    I'll try that new line , thanks. As for changing the mac address, I have mine set to 00:11:22:33:44:55 like when cracking wep. If I change it again, do I do it as a separate process, or control C then change it there then do the reaver line again?

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longjidin View Post
    better using the Wifite + Reaver
    wifite is nothing different, it only uses the -a command...
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Actually it doesn't matter what the wpa passphrase is. You can make it a 64 completely random character password it it will still get it in about the same time as if it were "Bob", as long as the wps key stays the same. It's the wps key that reaver is brute forcing. Some access points deal with reaver differently. Some will only allow so many tries, then lock the wps system until an administrator unlocks it. Others will unlock after a few minutes. Still others just freaking lock up the whole damn access point...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69