Thread: ultimate backtrack box

Just burned his ISO

Default ultimate backtrack box

hey all,

I'm trying to put together a backtrack box that i can use for (mostly) password cracking (wpa, sam file, etc). I would like use cuda and rainbow tables so i know im going to need lots of harddrive space as well as some nivida cards. what im am not sure about is how to go about doing this, so basically im looking for a shopping list, as well as some advice as to how to slap everything together.

my concerns are:
    • heat
    • speed to crack password
    • storage

if i miss anything or should be concern about something i left out let me know. Oh Im not on a budge per say but we can discuss that.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: ultimate backtrack box

I fail to understand the problem? You clearly understand you will be needing a computer with large storage capacity, multiple video cards and extra cooling. What else do you need to know? That's all there is to it.

Just get a couple extra fans in. And make sure you install them the right way around

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Impono View Post
    I fail to understand the problem? You clearly understand you will be needing a computer with large storage capacity, multiple video cards and extra cooling. What else do you need to know? That's all there is to it.

Just get a couple extra fans in. And make sure you install them the right way around
    hey thanks for the reply, but im not sure as to what kind of cards I need or what motherboard, what mainly my biggest problem... I figure once I work out what hardware I need I can then worry about the software...so basically would like to know what hardware i need to buy

@dinvisible1,

I have built that kind of beast last year. You can refer to "My Back|Track 5 R2 box" at the right hand side of my blog.

My dream box is running water cooling system as it would be over 30 degree C in the summer in my country. You can find some videos about the temperature and benchmark in my blog too. In addition, modification is required on my computer case.

I think you need to have nVidia GTX 690 display cards for your dream box nowadays. If your budget is allowed, you can consider to make it running hardware RAID, such as RAID 0 with several hard drives.

Cheers,

Samiux

Just burned his ISO

hey thanks for you reply, I checked out you blog it was very useful!!!! would it be possible for us to exchange emails so we can discuss this further?

@dinvisible1,

You can contact me via the YouTube private message.

Samiux

Hi, I would advise you go for 600 series gpu if you prefer of nvidia.
    If you have a look at http://goo.gl/VFsx8 you can get some decent info about latest kepler cards.
    ATI card on the other hand are way faster in carcking jobs. Have a look at http://goo.gl/70XBF for some numbers!
    My current system is:
    GA-X58A-UD5 rev2
    I7 970 @4.0GHz (hex cpu- 6 cores, 12 threads, 12MB cache)
    24GB 1600MHz Kingston Ram
    Noctua NH-D14
    HDDs: 2TB WD, 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Hitachi, 128GB C300 for Slackware
    GTX 285

Since my graphic card is very old I`ll be upgarding soon to GTX 680 which has 1536 cores what should be nice kick. And maybe later down the line I`ll get second one depending on budget which is going to be pretty tight as I`ll be getting new 27" monitor and DS212+ nas box