Thread: BT5 r1 :: Dual Boot Win7 :: NO GRUB MENU

Hybrid View

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

Default BT5 r1 :: Dual Boot Win7 :: NO GRUB MENU

OK, so after trying to update to R2, after a reboot I got the black/blank screen, fix that then I tried to update the grub menu, I can't remember what I exactly did, because for some reason when booting to the grub menu, the first 2 options were gone, and only left me with the memtest+ and the other option..

I did a work around to get bt to boot up by editing the memtest option by hitting the 'E' key at menu and manually entering in the details...

after that, I kept trying and trying to get those 2 options to pop back up but didn't work and I did something to where as tho, it would now only boot to the

grub> command line..

so I took a picture of my windows 7 partition details so that incase somthing goes wrong i can book straight to windows no matter what by doing the following..

grub> insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    chainloader +1

"Windows is now loading"..

==========================

I googled my good ol friend "google" to find some fixes, and came around a some what fix that would or suppose to fix the grub menu by using the bootsec.exe file... I did that and now Windows 7 is the first thing that boots up when computer is turned on..

My Backtrack partition is still intact, but I need you guys help to get the menu back please.. I really can't afford to re-install a dual boot over again

I had this installation setup for a loooong time.

Kernal is 2.6.39.4
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: BT5 r1 :: Dual Boot Win7 :: NO GRUB MENU

You need to recover the grub..Your grub is a grub2...So need to use a CD live from any linux distro, boot from it and fix grub...

Once you do that, reboot from HDD, if you in the menu, win7 does not show, do not worry, it is still there, intact..You did a complicated thing when fixing the "No win7 showing in menu" in the first place..But valid if it worked for you...

Perhaps, and only perhaps, when recovering grub, you will be missing w7 in menu....That is easy to fix, just enter the BT5, open a terminal and type: os-prober then just enter, it will search for partitions (OS) in disk, you will see that W7 partition shows up.
    Then type: update-grub (you can use update-grub2), wait and then reeboot. Now you should see the wholw menu with all partitions...

Luck.

FIX*

thanks for the tips maverik35, I also did another work around instead, I booted up Live CD, and mounted my BT 5 R1 partition then went ahead and installed the Live CD (BT 5 R2) manually chose to edit the partitions, made my BT 5 R1 partition to mount to "/" and went through the installation..

Basically this will overwrite and update the current install + update the Grub menu. After it finished, it worked!! I actually even got some* of my old settings back shortcuts and files stayed intact, but new ones override since it updated to BT 5 R2...

Update: I got my old grub menu back too as well, but now when I try to boot to windows, windows boots but then stops at a black screen...

Any thoughts on that ?

FIX*

thanks for the tips maverik35, I also did another work around instead, I booted up Live CD, and mounted my BT 5 R1 partition then went ahead and installed the Live CD (BT 5 R2) manually chose to edit the partitions, made my BT 5 R1 partition to mount to "/" and went through the installation..

Basically this will overwrite and update the current install + update the Grub menu. After it finished, it worked!! I actually even got some* of my old settings back shortcuts and files stayed intact, but new ones override since it updated to BT 5 R2...

Update: I got my old grub menu back too as well, but now when I try to boot to windows, windows boots but then stops at a black screen...

Any thoughts on that ?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Try to use F8 to enter safe mode...And see if it is a driver problem, something damaged in W7...

But remember, this is s Linux forum....No W7, or anything besides BT5...

Luck...
    Last edited by maverik35; 05-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.