Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it outdated? "Metasploit - the penetration tester's guide"

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Is it outdated? "Metasploit - the penetration tester's guide"

I for one have the same problem as the thread starter.

If that is the case, that the book is outdated but yet still contains valuable practical guidelines for insights of using the exploits, I would not mind continue reading it at all.

However, would there be a more technical guide about the tools which is more up-to-date than this one? I would appreciate any of your recommendations.

Much Thanks.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Based on the descriptions here (and having personally met a couple of the authors), I think they believe in the "teach a man to fish" philosophy. It's not just "here's a hammer, you hold it this way, and strike like this to drive a nail" but rather a "this is a claw hammer, useful for nail driving; this is a sledge hammer, useful for post driving" that sort of thing.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

In this beginner's opinion, it's the best primer available. It's true that some of the instructions now need minor tweaks to work, but problem-solving is the sine qua non of hacking, so you may as well start now.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

I agree, VulpiArgenti. And no better place to start than in a safe environment where you can experiment.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just FYI, BT5r2 postgres sql server is called metasploit-postgres in the /etc/init.d directory. You can start it by typing,
    service metasploit-postgres start
    Essentially, it will do the same thing, so you can proceed with the examples in the book and starting the SQL database using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by scottm99 View Post
    deviney, be sure to check out the metasploit mailing list. That has been a big help to me in the past. You can find signup info on metasploit's website.
    This sounds like it could be a big help, thanks for the that. I will find it and sign up to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by berzerker View Post
    I too am going through the book and discovering that things have changed, sometimes significantly. For instance, the chapter on anti-virus evasion is outdated, so don't expect anything there to work in the real world. You'll also find the authors assume a certain level of expertise, and don't spell things out as much as I think they should have, so expect to hit some road bumps along the way. Lots of them. (Hint, I've posted a solution to one problem in these forums. Also check the errata and corrections site for the book. Depending on which printing you have, it could save you lots of frustration.)

That said, I think the book is still worth going through. Just keep in mind that, from what I've learned/realized so far (I'm working through chapter 9), IMHO, it is more about teaching you how exploits and attacks work rather than being a tool to do it in the real world.
    I found the corrections but they do not cover half the errors i have found. I have just finished reading AV evasion chapter and also noticed that it is useless for using in BT5R2 but good for giving you the theory behind it.

I was going buy the book below but i now skeptical encase this also is just a book full of useless errors but it was only published this month. I would not mind a e-book copy to glance over and check before i purchase it tho. http://www.amazon.com/Metasploit-Pen.../dp/1849517428

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12