Hi,

I'm facing a significant issue to connect into wireless with BT5 in virtualbox. Once the connection is established, then it keeps stable. But this is like impossible to connect. The connection gets established after dozen of tries despite the access point is just next to the wifi card. The wlan0 interface is up.

98 times out of 100, I get this error at the "validating authentication" stage :
Code:
error : connection failed bad password
Config :
VirtualBox 4.1.12 r77245
VB guest additions : updated according to VB, eg VBGA 4.1..12 r77245
BT5 (Linux bt 3.2.6 #1 SMP Fri Feb 17 10:40:05 EST 2012 i686 GNU/Linux)
Alfa usb : AWUS036H (so should be compliant as USB with the VB use and with the rtl8187 driver)
driver : rtl8187
network manager: wicd
encryption: wep
/var/log/messages
Code:
May  4 00:38:10 bt kernel: [ 2212.356519] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
lsusb
Code:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter
Resetting the connection (as below's script) did not really improve the situation (same with unplug/replug the device) :
Code:
modprobe -r rtl8187 && modprobe rtl8187
sleep 3
rfkill unblock all
sleep 1
OLD_PID=/var/run/dhclient.$IFACE.pid
iwconfig $IFACE essid any
iwconfig $IFACE ap any
iwconfig $IFACE mode Managed
[ -e $OLD_PID ] && rm $OLD_PID
pkill dhclient
pkill wicd
Reducing /etc/network/interfaces to minimalistic config improved significantly the situation but still keeps on difficulties to connect :
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
The Alfa device works properly when I connect it onto another machine, so I guess this is config related but can't find where/why (BT, VB, .. ?).
I also tried network-manager i/o wicd, but no changes.

Does anybody know similar issues (eg "random") and would you pls give some hints (alfa magnetic interferences, config, empower the alfa TX..) ?

EDIT:
maybe a dream or a nightmare, but a trend looks like that if a tty is opened, wicd do not succeed to connect. Quite strange? Needs to be confirmed. Later as I do wanna loose my connection.

Thx