Thread: Remastersy Bug

Default Remastersy Bug

I have used remastersys on BT4 Final twice and both times it resulted in a backup ISO that was not valid.

And, after each use of remastersys, I found that the remastersys program was no longer installed in BT4 Final.

Had to go into synaptic package manager and re-install remastersys 2.0.12-1 each time.

In my testing, I am using a full BT4 Final o/s on an 8GB usb with the remastersys config set for the ISO to be placed on the hdd.

A

EDIT: An exact duplicate of the entire process above was done with Ubuntu 9.10 with no problems. The remastersys forum believes there might be a BT4 issue involved. With BT4's use of Ubuntu 8.10, the correct version of remastersys (2.0.12-1) is being used in BT4 (confirmed by the remastersys forum moderator). I hope someone with a hard drive install can test the remastersys process and provide their results.
    Last edited by alacrityathome; 01-27-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Further info

Default Re: Remastersy Bug

I had this same issue and result, but have not pursued it. I hope some more light can be shed on it. Thanks!
    "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

You appear to be correct in that once it is ran, it is no longer installed.
    I have a hard drive install and chose the 2nd option. As it was running I could see that it appeared to be deleting itself and files. I can't say for sure if the ISO that it created is any good as I have yet to try it.

M

Developer

I have never used the program but I will look into it a little. Just to be clear we are still a security distro so our main focus is security. Try install things via apt-get rather than the synaptic package manager. I promise you will get better results. I would love to make every single tool in the world work on bt4 but sometimes that is very hard to do while keeping up with all the hacks and tweaks needed to keep Backtrack the best.

Thanks, purehate. I was just trying to alert everyone. I like the remastersys software and it should become one of the advantages of BT4's use of Ubuntu.... once it is working correctly. In my case, I am now using Acronis to take an image of the EXT3 BT4 partition and have already tested it and it works well........for anyone looking for a backup.

A

Its not a bug, remastersys attempts to set up the appropriate front end for ubiquity based on a check which fails in BT.

if [ "`cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager`" = "/usr/bin/kdm" ]; then
    apt-get -y -q install ubiquity-frontend-kde
    apt-get -y -q remove ubiquity-frontend-gtk
    else
    apt-get -y -q install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
    apt-get -y -q remove ubiquity-frontend-kde
    apt-get -y -q install metacity
    fi
    We dont use KDM, and as such ubiquity gets axed along with remastersys. Edit your /usr/bin/remastersys file to comment out the lines above and it'll leave ubiquity alone in the default configuration. I've had mine set up like this for a while and have been making progressive ISO sets of my decently customized OS every time i test my changes (helped today when i decided to rollback due to a heap smashing error with nmap which i use daily).

Pureh@te, if you want, test out my method and we can toss this in the how-to section with proper formatting.

Developer

Thanks guys, like I said I don't use it however I can take over and "hack" the package to suit our needs if enough people think it would be a good idea.

Pureh@te, i believe the above change is the only one to remastersys in order to get this working. If you want to update remastersys in the repo, feel free to send me the new deb, i'll test it and make changes as needed to get it working properly in kde3 then send back my changelog for you to patch and package so there's no concern about tainted debs going into the repository.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Remastersy Bug

Hi, i have seen it on BT4 but one thing here to notice that /etc/X11 --default desktop manager is KDM-- and thus remastersys make attempts to install ubiquity-frontend-kde, to create CDFS as well as ISO. But, the things matter that ubiquity-frontend-kde could not get installed in fact. I have checked it in Synaptic and found that ubiquity-frontend-kde is still not installed. Then I installed it manually from Synaptic alongwith its dependencies.

Just burned his ISO

Hi to all as this is my first post to a very old one. I do not know if you found a way out of this but as I was searching for ubiquity-frontend-kde3 I came through my way here.
    purehate I don't know if you did change the code. If you did I would appreciate a lot to have it to !
    What I managed to do with this issue was to install manually as the friend above did the ubiquity-frontend-kde3 package.
    But this package as I remember wanted the kwin package which was from kde4. The final result was that
    the created dvd was ok. It booted, th install option was working, the install screen to select the time came on. There, appeared some error messages about kwin and something else. Just ignored and closed all.
    Continue the install. The final stage the button install was grey. I pressed the button for the grub install, went back again and pressesed the back button to return to the partition screen. Suddenly the install button was able for press. I pressed it and everything went ok !!!
    When I logged in again the root pass changed to "toor" again.
    purehate did you changed the code ? I really would like to have it.

Just to mention something. I am 38 years old. I am a child of Bill Gates since I was 16 years old as a user and a technician. For one week now I am on a laptop for 36 hours, sleeping 10 and start again.
    I begin to fall in love with linux ... its the best way to learn your OS and your PC. Windows are really ready made and much easier for a beginner BUT I now understand the freedom and the Ubuntu spirit that all the community of you linux guys have. I am happy I found you and thank you Backtrack team for bringing me to this great community