I just installed BackTrack 5 R2 as a virtual machine using VMware Player and am having some trouble getting my ethernet adapter to work in promiscuous mode.

Host OS I am using is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with VMware Player 4.02. I should mention that in order for VMPlayer to work with this new version of Ubuntu I did have to apply the followign patch:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpre...l-3-2-and-3-3/ (FYI - this works great for anyone interested in upgrading Ubuntu that has a need for VM Workstation/Player) I hear the patch also works for VMware server, but have not personally tried it with anything other than Player 4.02 and Workstation 8.02.

anyways....

After gettig the BackTrack VM setup i edited the config file (in this case "/home/username/vmware/backtrack.vmx") to include the following line:

ethernet0.noPromisc = “FALSE”

I thought this might do the trick but obviously I am missing something becasue at this point the guest OS (BackTrack) does not appear to be using the card in promiscuous mode

Any Ideas or help offered on the topic would be highly appreciated.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post the question, but seemed like a logical choice to me.

Cheers -
Tim