Thread: BT5 R2 GNOME x64 DIDN'T LIVE BOOT [FREEZE]

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation BT5 R2 GNOME x64 DIDN'T LIVE BOOT [FREEZE]

Hey guys, i want some help from you..
    I just upgraded my system with a new Main-board, RAM & CPU..[doh..entire system ] . When i try to install Backtrack 5 R2 GNOME x64 into my system i got a frozen screen at a certain point. I tried with 2 methods USB Boot as well as DVD Boot and also tried all the options such as default text mode, safe mode..etc., But i got the same problem. When i select default text mode for live boot it freezes at a certain point every time.
    I have attached the freeze point screenshots in this post..

BOOT UNDER LIVE DVD: FREEZES AT:
    Code:
    [    3.55699] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
    BOOT UNDER LIVE USB DRIVE: FREEZES AT:
    Code:
    [    3.332950] USB Mass Storage support registered.
    These same problem remains on options such as safe boot,..etc.

& my system info is:
    Code:
     CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    RAM: 6GB [ 4+2 ]
    MotherBoard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
    HDD: 2TB [1+1]
    I don't know how to over come this problem. can anyone help me about this problem...??
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Default Re: BT5 R2 GNOME x64 DIDN'T LIVE BOOT [FREEZE]

Sorry this is a complete shot in the dark sort to speak but I hope it may at least help troubleshoot ^^
    Do you have any peripherals attached, say like a printer, external storage device, keyboards, mice (I know the last two are necessary but..)

If you do, I recommend to disconnect everything that you can to do a bare boot, even mouse and keyboard. Your internals as well, such as CD-Rom and additional hdd's. Basically, try to boot with just the most basic of basics... That way we can see if there is a device that is interfering with the boot.

If you can successfully boot then we know there is a kink somewhere in the hardware causing your system to hang. If this is the case, I recommend to reconnect each device one by one (after each reboot), until we hit the error again. Hopefully, that will tell us which device may be causing the freeze...

If that doesn't solve it, then we can safely assume the problem is with something else. Perhaps, a bad memory module, or and underpowered power supply for example. Since you've tried both usb and dvd-rom boot methods, I am assuming that the images of your x64 gnome were downloaded correctly, and the MD5's are all ok as well.

Let us know please
    --Charon

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

If I were you, and please keep this in mind, download a linux distro (I use debian testing and sid) like Ubuntu (BT5 is based on Ubuntu and therefore highly recommended, LMDE, Squeeze (need some experience and knowledge), etc (live cd's), burn it, and try to boot. See what happens...

This way you can find out if your computer is compatible with BT5, if there is an issue with hardware as far as compatibility is concerned....

You need to make sure that there is no issues with hardware...Then you can see if the incompatibility is with your chipset or support hardware in your motherboard.

Good luck...

Just burned their ISO

Question Re: BT5 R2 GNOME x64 DIDN'T LIVE BOOT [FREEZE]

hey guys, Thank you for all your replies.
    @charonsecurity: I have tried the method you said, i unplugged my keyboard, mouse, while booting the same problem occurs. i don't know how to fix this?!!
    @maverik35: i have already used the Ubuntu 10.x and 11.x in the same system, It worked fine for me. But in backtrack it got freeze at booting.

" My Motherboard has inbuilt USB 3.0 port. Is that cause any problem ? Because on freeze i got the "[ 3.332950] USB Mass Storage support registered. " on screen and nothing happens.. & also i need to know what is a scsi device? Because On DVD boot it freezes at "[ 3.55699] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5" ..!!

Thank you.!

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

One question; When installed BT5 in pendrive, did you formatted the pendrive as fat16 or fat32?

I don't believe USB 3.0 should be causing any problems, I'm actually using a wireless mouse via USB 3.0 port.
    As for scsi, that refers to a piece of hardware, most likely Hard Drive or CD-rom.
    We know that the mouse and keyboard are not the culprits now, how about any internal hardware?