Thread: Dual boot question

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual boot question

I read the dual boot lilo guide, but when I'm making the partitions do I make it after C:?

So say I did make it after C:, Logical or Primary?

I recently went through the dual boot thing without a hitch, but if I had to do it again, I'd do it differently. I'd set up the BT partitions first, and put the window partition last. The reason for this is that Vista has the capability to resize partitions on the fly, and I tried shrinking my windows partition to make a fat32 that both windows and bt could write to. That went fine, but after the change, bt failed to load, as the order in which it mounted the partitions changed, and lilo could no longer find my bt installation. Now, I could have just edited my lilo.conf file, but instead, for now, I just deleted the new partition and reclaimed the space in Vista for my windows install.

The Gparted live cd (sourceforge) is a great partitioning tool.

I have 3 partitions. Sda1 is windows, sda2 is swap, and sda3 is backtrack. All are primary partitions. I installed windows first, then backtrack, and then just edited lilo.conf to let lilo know about my windows install. After you change lilo.conf, you have to run the lilo binary to apply the changes.

Btw, here's the guide I used for dual boot setup: http://www.securitydistro.com/index....=251&Itemid=43

Just burned his ISO

Well see, I have XP and Partition Magic for my hdd.

Just trying to figure this out, I did it awhile back.

So I will try primary.. whats the difference, though?

Just burned his ISO

im not to acquainted with the lilo bootloader but. in my case with Grub bootloader if you intsall xp or what ever os you wont first then install your BT2 in my case Ubuntu "grub" then it should detect your other installs and boot fine to them .. it shouldnt really matter what your C is cuz when you install bt2 it sets the MBR to what ever hda# it was installed on unless you set it to write the mbr to anouther spot on the drive.. i would set it up

HDA1 BT2 .ext2
    HDA2 Windows xp NTFS. or FAT32 if you wont bt2 to be able to write to the drive.

then it should work fine.. correct me if im wrong.
    My Tutorials::
    :Tribooting Ubuntu+BT2+XP Tutorial:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/tutorials-guides/7863-tribooting-ubuntu-bt2-xppro-heres-how.html
    :Booting Backtrack3 from Pendrive HOSTED ON REMOTE-EXPLOIT.ORG "theprez98" thanks for the suport:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt3beta-general/12696-bt3-pendrive-using-only-windows-tut.html