Thread: Final College Work

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Final College Work

Firstly, Hello.. im new in this forum ^^... idk if this is the right location to post this.. sorry mods if im posting in the wrong session

Guys i need a suggestion.. the theme of my Final College Work (computer science) is Wireless network security.. and in the day of presentation, i dont wanna just Blah Blah Blah.. WEP blah blah.. WAP blah blah.. i want to show something.. i talked to my teacher who is helping me.. and he said that i cant try anything against my college wireless.. so i have nothing to show.. what i can do??
    Maybe if a friend bring another notebook and create a Ad-Hoc wireless network and i try to break the security, could be something.. idk if its gonna be a good show (of course is better than just blah blah blah)...
    Anyone have any idea??

TY

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Final College Work

I think your idea of having a friend bring a notebook & attack that way would be very informative. Perhaps you could borrow an access point, configure it for WEP, then crack it. Or, another idea would be to demonstrate a denial-of-service attack against wireless using a CTS/RTS flood.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

I think it would be best to use a AP instead of an Ad-Hoc network. If you don't have one, try asking some of your colleagues if they have a spare one they can lend you. Also, ask your teacher. Some schools have spare AP's for students to work on (I know mine has some).
    As a side note, this really has nothing to do with BackTrack.

You should be able to get a used AP from eBay for cheap. If I were you, I'd get an AP that you can demo WEP, WPA, and WPS cracking on.

Aside from breaking WEP, you should also demonstrate the impact it can have. A lot of people are "Well I have nothing of value in my computer, so who's going to hack me?". So demonstrate a MITM attack after busting WEP. Hijacking a Facebook session should do the trick.

Just burned his ISO

hehe.. thx guys for the suggestions, the problem in attack the school wireless is that I have to generate a report showing everything, and some ppl who work there gonna be pissed off, so is better avoiding this... again, thx.. and I'm open to any suggestions if others want to share...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOrc View Post
    thx guys for the suggestions, the problem in attack the school wireless is that I have to generate a report showing everything, and some ppl who work there gonna be pissed off, so is better avoiding this...
    When I said to ask your teacher if the school has some spare AP's, I'm not talking about attacking the school network. I'm talking about AP's that they usually have locked in a drawer gathering dust (not being used). Just to clarify...

I found an old Linksys AP in a thrift store for $10. A lot of people replace their AP with a new 802.11n unit and retire their old one. eBay or Craigslist surely has loads of dirt cheap APs.

Do a site survey before your presentation and find out which channels your campus uses. Stagger your AP's channel so it doesn't interfere with the school's.

Since you're majoring in CS, it's presumable that most audience members will know more than the average person about computers and security. I like the idea of hijacking Facebook or Google with MITM, but that would require that your AP has Internet access. I think cracking WEP, WPA and WPS in front of CS majors, with a clear explanation of what an attacker could do from there, will more than suffice. Good luck!