Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: live install with changes, swap and data partitions

Quote Originally Posted by l0gaN View Post
    Balding Parrot...

First of all, AWESOME post. thanks. this was very, very, very easy to follow. you made it very simple and it works.

I took a little different approach though.

for the life of me my stinking usb couldn't be partitioned and plus it was only 1 puny gbs... so i didn't want to limit myself that much.

So I installed BT to the USB key using Shamen's little proggie with all the extra's. Then I used Partition Magic to make a 700mb EXT2 partition on my D: drive of my laptop that i use the BT USB on.

I then followed all your instructions regards the config files and the sys files and the bootinst.bat... and now when i use BT it saves all my changes to my HHD partition. It is awesome. thank you. I know i am limited to this machine for now. but until i can get an external hdd or larger USB i am stuck with this.... but it WORKS!!! thank you very much.
    Thank you, and it is nice to hear that you liked it and have got a solution that works for you. Once you have the basics of this method sorted in your mind, it is amazing how versatile and adaptable it is.

Can i ask you one question? If i want to add other items to automatically load, like my IPW3945 driver for my wireless nic and my wpa_supplicant file for my WPA usage so i dont have to load them every time i come in... where do i add those lines of code?
    The whole idea of all this work, is that ANY changes you make are available the next time you boot, unless it requires you to start it before you use it (I don't use that card or driver so I cannot say how that one works). If you have installed that driver, then it will be there when you reboot. The wpa_supplicant file you created will be there too. You can prove this by creating a file of any type on your desktop, or anywhere for that fact, and next time you reboot, that file will be there.
    thank you again. great post.
    Your welcome.

Default what i meant

Sorry for that, i asked the question wrong.

Yes the drivers and the supplicant file are all still there...

but if i want them to auto load where can i enter the load command for the IPW driver and the WPA_SUPPLICANT line so it auto loads every time i boot BT?

thank you again
    The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole universe. But the stupid man will just lay down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll stand up and go: Hey, I'm Vine Man.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    This question or a question related to part of this gets asked so many times, but people seem unable to find it where I originally posted it.
    Let me try a different question.

do you know of a way to do this inside of BT w/o having to jump to a winders box?

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    Let me try a different question.

do you know of a way to do this inside of BT w/o having to jump to a winders box?
    Yes, use qtparted, bootinst.sh and its related cfg file, instead of the one related to bootinst.bat.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Yes, use qtparted, bootinst.sh and its related cfg file, instead of the one related to bootinst.bat.
    thank you..

Just burned his ISO

I am hoping this is not wrong to post in this thread, but does anyone have suggestions/directions on how to ghost/clone a USB key I created using this method to another USB key or HD space? I've updated a USB key to where I like it, and I'd like to share it with others that I know.

Many of the windows solutions don't see all of the partitions, and I'm trying to find a Linux solution in BackTrack.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by spartyon32 View Post
    I am hoping this is not wrong to post in this thread, but does anyone have suggestions/directions on how to ghost/clone a USB key I created using this method to another USB key or HD space? I've updated a USB key to where I like it, and I'd like to share it with others that I know.

Many of the windows solutions don't see all of the partitions, and I'm trying to find a Linux solution in BackTrack.
    I'm partial to norton ghost but I have not tried it with slax.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I'm partial to norton ghost but I have not tried it with slax.
    I'm not sure if Norton Ghost will be able to pick up a USB stick, let alone the the 4 partitions on a USB stick. Am I wrong with that thought?

Do you know if there are any tools to partition a USB key in Windows? just curious.
    I've done all the setting up in windows using partition magic, seems to work.

Now just looking at way to clone a usb including all partitions, will update you guys if I find a way. It might be a problem because u need to clone everything incl mbr

I read that most bios wont boot a FAT32 file system the work better with just FAT16. And a read about some people getting to start bt only with fat16

So thats maybe my problem.

I just formatted the usb stick fat16 but I cant get acess on it at qtparted do put up the swap and the ext2 partition. is there any programm for windows which can do this swap-partitioning etc.?

thanks

p.s. im using vista so i cant get partition magic to run

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast