Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: live install with changes, swap and data partitions

Quote Originally Posted by {In}Secure View Post
    I followed your tut and it works great on my 2GB USB flash drive.

I have noticed that my changes partition (changes=/dev/sda3) is becoming full rather quickly.

Can I move the changes I definitely want to keep to the first partition (fat32) where they will become loaded with each time I reboot?
    If so, do the changes go into the /bt/modules folder?
    I was just typing out a reply to this question when I received your PM's with EXACT copies of this post.

That is not the way that forums or irc etc work.

So the way I am now going to answer your question is this:

No you cannot
    &
    Practice good housekeeping

Buy a 100GB+ external USB hard drive. Not much more than a thumb drive, and LOTS more space.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I was just typing out a reply to this question when I received your PM's with EXACT copies of this post.

That is not the way that forums or irc etc work.
    Good call. There is a reason its a public forum...

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Good call. There is a reason its a public forum...
    Thank you BTW the PM's were deleted without answer.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Thank you BTW the PM's were deleted without answer.
    I've stated here before my policy regarding PMs: I ignore all substantive questions, and only answer questions regarding the functioning of the forums when they relate to a specific user.

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    I've stated here before my policy regarding PMs: I ignore all substantive questions, and only answer questions regarding the functioning of the forums when they relate to a specific user.
    My policy is pretty much the same, except there are a very few people that I have given permission to ignore that.

Default USB Partitioning

Do you know if there are any tools to partition a USB key in Windows? just curious.
    The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole universe. But the stupid man will just lay down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll stand up and go: Hey, I'm Vine Man.

Default Another question

can i ask a question please

so my usb drive is V:

what does this do when i type it:

bootinst.bat V:

according to your instructions it is very important, but i want to know what i am doing

thank you
    great tut
    The wise man can pick up a grain of sand and envision a whole universe. But the stupid man will just lay down on some seaweed and roll around until he's completely draped in it. Then he'll stand up and go: Hey, I'm Vine Man.

Quote Originally Posted by l0gaN View Post
    Do you know if there are any tools to partition a USB key in Windows? just curious.
    I am not aware of any that get around the limitations of windows successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by l0gaN View Post
    can i ask a question please

so my usb drive is V:

what does this do when i type it:

bootinst.bat V:

according to your instructions it is very important, but i want to know what i am doing

thank you
    great tut
    The command is just bootinst.bat
    You have to open a command prompt and navigate to the folder on the USb stick that contains bootinst.bat and run it from there.

Bootinst.bat is what tells the various programs how to write the MBR on the USB stick, which is what makes the stick bootable.

It is VERY important that you follow the instructions carefully, otherwise you can screw your system up, leaving you needing to do a repair. The instructions are very clear and if followed properly, nothing like that will happen. But it is important that you understand exactly what you are doing and why you are doing each step, before you attempt the process to minimise the possibility of failure.

Talking Awesome

Balding Parrot...

First of all, AWESOME post. thanks. this was very, very, very easy to follow. you made it very simple and it works.

I took a little different approach though.

for the life of me my stinking usb couldn't be partitioned and plus it was only 1 puny gbs... so i didn't want to limit myself that much.

So I installed BT to the USB key using Shamen's little proggie with all the extra's. Then I used Partition Magic to make a 700mb EXT2 partition on my D: drive of my laptop that i use the BT USB on.

I then followed all your instructions regards the config files and the sys files and the bootinst.bat... and now when i use BT it saves all my changes to my HHD partition. It is awesome. thank you. I know i am limited to this machine for now. but until i can get an external hdd or larger USB i am stuck with this.... but it WORKS!!! thank you very much.

Can i ask you one question? If i want to add other items to automatically load, like my IPW3945 driver for my wireless nic and my wpa_supplicant file for my WPA usage so i dont have to load them every time i come in... where do i add those lines of code?

thank you again. great post.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast