Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: TUTORIAL: live install with changes, swap and data partitions

Hmm I'm trying this but qtparted won't detect my usb stick. Can anyone help? I am trying it in VMware.

Firstly great tutorial - followed it to the letter but just couple of basic n00bstyley questions!

I will be setting up a 'image' of my usb key for other n00bers to use which will make it even easier then it is now (may even cut down the posts on the forum!)

I have setup the usb key and added changes=/dev/sdd3/changes to the syslinux.cfg file (if i added /dev/sda2/changes i get the usual error asking to reboot) and created the /changes folder in thew root of the ext3 partition. When i look into the changes folder there is now loads of folders.

If i look on qtparted is shows:-

01 /dev/sda1 fat32
    02 /dev/sda3 linux swap
    03 /dev/sda2 ext3

Is that right as I have found is if create a txt file on the desktop and reboot the BT3 the file no longer appears .. Is there a way to commit the changes ..i'm guessing i have n00bed up somewhere?!

Also currently I am running a script to load the latest 3.01 rt73 driver in a script - can this be done on a bootup automatically as I can't see how to make a lzm file ...

how do i make these partitions ? do i use xp or bt3 disk please help

Quote Originally Posted by jamied_uk View Post
    how do i make these partitions ? do i use xp or bt3 disk please help
    So far I've never used windows to do any of this. Xp can't make ext3 partitions without third party software. You can do all of it from within backtrack booted from the cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post

Is that right as I have found is if create a txt file on the desktop and reboot the BT3 the file no longer appears .. Is there a way to commit the changes ..i'm guessing i have n00bed up somewhere?!
    I've found that if I make a change and immediately reboot, the change doesn't stick. If I wait a few minutes it will stick. I think the changes don't get written automagically, there's a wait limit in there somewhere. Does that make sense? I've got a killer headache and the words aren't popping into my head the way I want to explain it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I used 4 gb flash drive. Formated in windows to fat 32. Installed BT3. Run BT3 and made 3 partitions using qtparted. One was made for 1.5 gig fat32, other was ext2 and the last one was made for swap.
    I returend to windows, formated my 1.5 gig fat32 flash extracted the files edited the config files and run installer. Booted from a usb with VESA KDE and everything worked fine. The partition used was ext2 with a folder "changes" altough it all installed with several folders also. My disk with ext2 was named sdb2.
    It all runs perfectly now. Using acer travelmate 5720.

Thx for sharing.

Best regards MaxHalzo

Just burned his ISO

oh i have some problems

i do every things , but:

when i open the file [syslinux.cfg] its deferent in BT3 and i but in:

LABEL BT3
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (KDE)
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 ..................

is this right ?

and when i do this command:

mkswap /dev/sda2
    swapon /dev/sda2

the answer :

bt ~ # mkswap /dev/sda2
    Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1077506 kB
    no label, UUID=c3b8f96b-459d-4f43-bf97-6db2a67c501c
    bt ~ # swapon /dev/sda2
    swapon: /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy

and when i reboot its not save any thing commands,config wifi,updates

can you help me

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by al7aker View Post
    oh i have some problems

i do every things , but:

when i open the file [syslinux.cfg] its deferent in BT3 and i but in:

LABEL BT3
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (KDE)
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 ..................
    Im just starting with slack and BT3 but have tried also on USB HDD and it works.
    When you run qtparted with a fresh install of BT3 make sure to see what device it is named, ext2,ext3 may be sda2 or sdb2 or so. Make folder changes altough in BT3 it installs every change on a whole partition. Then after seeing what swap partition is named write both down. Return to windows, format fat32 partition and copy BT3 files and then before making install make sure that those partitions you wrote are edited in sysconfig.
    For my instance I made APPEND changes=sdb3 or so to my VESA KDE line. Any line can be ofcourse used for it not just the first ones.
    Hope it helps.

Max Halz

Just burned his ISO

Default usb install help

Thank you Baldin Parrot following his TUTORIAL
    I managed to create quite a usb live BT3
    Now I'm trying to set a suitable resolution
    for my acer aspire One

I can not help find a resolution graphics acer aspire one 9pollici ?!?!?

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    So I take it nobody has found this tutorial useful then !
    Information is (usually) always useful. Thank you for writing this.

I think I will try UNetbootin hxxp://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ first but if it does not work for some reason then I will definetley try your method.

BTW: My Tutorial allows you to run BT3 and WinXP at the same time. It might be neat to see that put on a stick.

Tutorial: Advanced - Installing Backtrack 3 under VirtualBox
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17289

I already have a USB stick running BT3 beta (bt3beta_usb.iso) with changes.

How does this install method utilizing a swap partition any different in terms of saving changes? I have an 80GB USB HDD laying around and I wanna put it to good use. BTW, I tried the final version and reverted back to beta. It just works better for me.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314