Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: live install with changes, swap and data partitions

Just burned his ISO

Default Copy Backtrack from one usb to another

Is there any way to copy what we did with the walkthrough from 1 usb drive to another?

I understand that we would still have to make the 2nd usb bootable before any of this would work.

Already tried with no success.

Thanks in advance.

Default thank you!

I want to thank Balding Parrot for this tutorial. I've been using and learning BT3b for a month or so and have neglected to say thanks.

If you follow the instructions carefully and add "changes" per PureH@tes note it will work.

I used acronis in windows for the partitioning, a WD usb hd, on a Toshiba U305-s5077.

I just added a powered usb hub to plug the WD into. Now the usb boot choice comes up every time. I think about a dual boot install, but this works too well

cool
    That's why I say hey man nice shot. What a good shot man.

balding_parrot thanks for the tutorial this seems to be the best option to me from all the guides i've read also as i've been using windows/dos for years and am a linux newbie i find it the easiest (partitioning in win etc)
    I know your probably sick of going down the same tracks with this stuff but if you have time im trying to follow the guide as closely as possible and my scenario is slightly different:-
    i am using a laptop with 1 hard drive and it has win xp on a primary partition,

Apparantly you can only have 4 primary partitions and your guide utililises 4, what is the best way to go about this, can you merge say the module and data partition as one. I sacrificed the swap partition for testing sake and it works, but i think that it should be on there. (and would like it to be)

Incidently after reeboot I got the error:-

'mount: mounting aufs on union failed
    Fatal Error occured - can't setup union (aufs)
    *Something went wrong and we can't continue, This should never happen
    *Please Reboot your computer with Ctrl+Alt+Del'

i tracked this down to the change folder not been entered onto the partition maybe you could add this to the tutorial and keep it in the newbie bit as a main one, it seems to be getting hidden away a little

Thanks again

The tutorial was written before BT3, so is basically BT2 specific although for most people it is a good foundation to the principles that can be applied to BT3.

You can do away with the data partition and use changes partition to hold any data you want to store. The primary reason for having a separate data partition is so that it can be formatted fat32 to be easily accessed via windows. If you are wanting to be able to access the data on the changes partition from within windows, then I would suggest installing an ext2 driver for windows such as Ext2IFS.

The adding of the changes folder in BT3 is something which has been well documented in other tutorials, the wiki and in this thread as it seems you have found, I thought I had added a note about that in the first post but perhaps I have forgotten.

Glad you liked it, and thank you for taking the time to make the comments.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Quote Originally Posted by KingMidas View Post
    balding_parrot thanks for the tutorial
    can you merge say the module and data partition as one.
    you say you sacrified your swap partition, in my latest variations on this nifty method, i now everytime mix my data(changes) partition with my swap. i explain , i don't create a swap partition but only a swapfile ONTO the changes partition , afterall work is done . you can easily set bt to use the swapfile auto at each reboot , that way you have benefit of swapping memory into a file & can use no extra partition to get more memory available. i think it's the best thing to do , this prevent you to do extra partioning stuff. and your swap is even moveable in that way , more flexible.

just my little $0,02
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    you say you sacrified your swap partition, in my latest variations on this nifty method, i now everytime mix my data(changes) partition with my swap. i explain , i don't create a swap partition but only a swapfile ONTO the changes partition , afterall work is done . you can easily set bt to use the swapfile auto at each reboot , that way you have benefit of swapping memory into a file & can use no extra partition to get more memory available. i think it's the best thing to do , this prevent you to do extra partioning stuff. and your swap is even moveable in that way , more flexible.

just my little $0,02
    Sounds very interesting, could you explain this further so as I can try it please .

let's say your changes partition is /mnt/sda3

you run this command : (after having set the change mod & rebooting)

mkfileswap /mnt/sda3/mynewswapfile 2000 (here roughly 2GB swap, it's the size in MB)

will create the swapfile

activation is done through classical command for swap ...

BackTrack :

Thanks shaman, that is a method I have never heard of under *nix and never used.

That is such a simple operation to do, do you notice any performance difference over the conventional method of a swap partition?
    I guess there may be a small amount of degredation if you are writing to or reading data from changes and to the swap at the same time, but it is probably minimal.

I will be trying this soon as I have a situation where it will be useful.

Thank you.

it's in the front page ! the one before login ..... so you must have seen it before ....lol... aproof that we never see what is just near our eyes most of times. i use this method since a while now. i can't believe you have,'t seen it before.

yes there's some processor use difference , but nothing measurable in term of performance

BackTrack :

I am always doing that, I often don't see what is right in front of me

Well if there is no measurable difference in performance and it saves a partition, it has got to be worth a try.

If you are using it, that is a high enough recommendation for me

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast