Thread: No Window Manager?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default No Window Manager?

I'm a confused noob...

Using Backtrack 5 R2 32 bit KDE installed on a 4 GB USB stick. I'm running it on a Lenovo T410i. It boots to the Backtrack wallpaper with a command line window in the middle at the root prompt. However, there doesn't seem to be a window manager running - I have no desktop, no mouse, no icons or windows. I tried startx, but the screen goes black and the capslock blinks. I also tried the 64 bit iso, but it won't boot - it goes directly to a blank screen with blinking capslock.

I can successfully boot ubuntu 11.10 desktop installed on the same USB stick and everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No Window Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by MeeHungLowe View Post
    I'm a confused noob...

Using Backtrack 5 R2 32 bit KDE installed on a 4 GB USB stick. I'm running it on a Lenovo T410i. It boots to the Backtrack wallpaper with a command line window in the middle at the root prompt. However, there doesn't seem to be a window manager running - I have no desktop, no mouse, no icons or windows. I tried startx, but the screen goes black and the capslock blinks. I also tried the 64 bit iso, but it won't boot - it goes directly to a blank screen with blinking capslock.

I can successfully boot ubuntu 11.10 desktop installed on the same USB stick and everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Well, I was able to successfully boot up the same USB stick and start the window manager on a different laptop (Sony Vaio), so I assume the issue is the video drivers on the Lenovo.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: No Window Manager?

4GB is not really the size you need and that is going to cause you some problems. Backtrack recommends a 8gb flash drive or larger in order to run the thumbdrives. And...

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48737

This should fix your problem.