Thread: Offensive-Security?

Default Offensive-Security?

Greetings,

Has anyone completed the full course? I am assisting a pentest in the next month that will allow me to have enough expendable cash to pay for the full course and 60 days of lab access.

Should I do it? Or am I better off just learning the stuff on my own. I was quite impressed with the quality of video muts put out for dual-booting with BT.

Useful advice is welcome.
    Fingerprint.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

these courses are not for beginner... you should learn basic security and basic networking forensics before all...

i hope to offer me the quite new "Backtrack WiFu Courses" for my birthday.....

btw .... make a reservation....there's not so much slots available...
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    these courses are not for beginner... you should learn basic security and basic networking forensics before all...

i hope to offer me the quite new "Backtrack WiFu Courses" for my birthday.....

btw .... make a reservation....there's not so much slots available...
    "Basic security" I more than understand. Linux pentesting tools, less of a grasp on those. I know how to be a user on Linux, but not much more.

I've already "pre-registered" - just waiting on the funds.
    Fingerprint.

Junior Member imported_soultaker666's Avatar

I am actually waiting on some funds to do the course as well. I wanted the premium package with the certification. The way I understand it is they want you to be able to navigate through Linux very well. I don't think it has much to do with the pentest tools so much as the knowledge with Linux.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Offensive Security Wireless Attacks - Backtrack WiFu

(Available from 3rd Sept 2007)
    "Offensive Security Wireless Attacks", also known as "BackTrack WiFu" is a course designed for penetration testers and security enthusiasts who need to learn to implement various active and passive Wireless (802.11 2.4 GHz) attacks. The course is based on the Wireless Attack suite - Aircrack-ng
    The course was designed by Thomas d'Otreppe and Mati Aharoni in an attempt to organise and summarise today's relevant WiFi attacks. This course will kick-start your WiFu abilities, and get you cracking WEP and WPA using the latest tools and attacks in no time!

it's not only navigate into linux......i don't need courses for that...LOL;;;;;
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

So no one has taken the courses?
    Fingerprint.

I'm in the middle of the course right now. One of the pervasive features of the training is just how detailed muts is in explaining everything. Line by line, command by command, everything is there to be able to replicate what he does, and the training videos run through things slow enough that if you can change directories, run commands, and use nano, you're golden. That being said...

There are a *lot* of opportunities for external research and going the "extra mile". He actually uses that term for extra assignments, the points from which count towards your certification attempt. He also expects you to either to know or learn how to do some basic programming in perl or python. This is especially useful in automating very specific tasks for which there is no preexisting tool.

All of the tools he covers, he covers very well. But, he only covers a small fraction of what is on the cd. He expects the student to spend a lot of time on his/her own to learn outside of the "classroom". Muts estimates 50-60 hours worth of work for the 6 hour video course and associated lab manual. Three weeks in, and I've done that easy already.

Let me know if you have any other ?s, and I'll answer what I can w/o giving away the farm.